Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: anyone fancy driving this?
02GF74

posted on 27/10/06 at 10:47 AM Reply With Quote
anyone fancy driving this?

roughly translated "road that guarantees you fill your pants"

donut

posted on 27/10/06 at 10:51 AM Reply With Quote
filled my pants just looking at the photo's!

Been to Madera and the roads are similar. Bloody frightning going round in a coach on single lanes and seeing another coach come the other way.

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ch1ll1

posted on 27/10/06 at 10:51 AM Reply With Quote
could be fun , if the road was closed

nick205

posted on 27/10/06 at 10:55 AM Reply With Quote

I guess life is worth less in some places

Phil.J

posted on 27/10/06 at 10:57 AM Reply With Quote
Would make a cracking hill climb course with a bit of re-tarmacing, with the ultimate penalty for going off!!!
ATB
Phil

wyatt

posted on 27/10/06 at 10:59 AM Reply With Quote
Sod hill climbing I would use it as a down hill mountain bike track

www.bynxy.co.uk

JackNco

posted on 27/10/06 at 11:12 AM Reply With Quote
went to all that effort blasting the rock out to make it and just got sloppy and didnt bother putting a fence up!

Some people are worried about the difference between right and wrong. I'm worried about the difference between wrong and fun.
O'Rourke, P.J. (1989), Holidays in hell. London (Picador)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
greggors84

posted on 27/10/06 at 11:18 AM Reply With Quote
Apparently it is a major trucking route from the capital.

There is a company that run mountain bike tours from the top to the bottom, their proud claim is that they havent lost a life yet!

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

02GF74

posted on 27/10/06 at 11:22 AM Reply With Quote
HSE will go bonkers.

I don't do heights - there is a similar path in Carbes, N. Spain - a path cut into the side of a mountain - I walked rather than cycled it.

AdamR

posted on 27/10/06 at 11:28 AM Reply With Quote
I've mountain biked that! And in pouring rain as well, making it very slippery... had a few 'little moments' on the way down. The smoothest line is right at the edge, so if your going fast then that's the place to be.

It's supposedly the world's most dangerous road. 70 km long, and a 400m to 800m drop on one side for much of the distance.

In one year 350 people died - mainly in mini buses that occasionaly plumet over the edge. The government dont bother recovering the bodies unless your family are rich enough to pay for the helicopter.

IIRC, 9 tourists and several guides have died on mountain bikes... but in almost every case it has been through dangerous showing off. One of the guys I went with nearly went over and he was boasting about how quick he was considering he'd never riddien a mountain bike before!

[Edited on 27/10/06 by AdamR]

AdamR

posted on 27/10/06 at 11:30 AM Reply With Quote
linky
JohnN

posted on 27/10/06 at 11:30 AM Reply With Quote
South America - Peru, Bolivia or somewhere. My son and his mates did the bike ride down. he said the worst part was the drive up in a bus.
Compared to the road, the hired bikes looked good and the ride was extensively videoed by the company, loads of people come down in the nude

Guinness

posted on 27/10/06 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote
Looks similar to the Swartberg Pass in South Africa.

That was fun, in a hire car! There were times when you looked up the cliff face and saw the underside of a coach swinging out over the edge of a hairpin directly above you!

Oh and for added madness on the Swartberg Pass, massive bits of it are constructed like a dry stone wall!

Mike

Johnmor

posted on 27/10/06 at 01:33 PM Reply With Quote
One way

I thought they had made that one one way, 6 hours at a time, so it changes direction 3 or 4 times a day.

Still looks dogy, great for an over powered rear wheel drive vehicle with no ABS or traction control and no roof..

Confused but excited.

posted on 27/10/06 at 03:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by greggors84

There is a company that run mountain bike tours from the top to the bottom, their proud claim is that they havent lost a life yet!

Of course, they can't say the same about the tourists!

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

DIY Si

posted on 27/10/06 at 04:48 PM Reply With Quote
Bugger driving, biking or probably even walking that! I though I could consider myself a bit brave having done some mionr waterfall jumping/gorge walking stuff, but that's just plain mentalist!

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

Bigfoot

posted on 27/10/06 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
We have quite a few roads like that in the remote parts of New Zealand, in fact the scenery is remarkably similar to some of the high country areas over here.
There is very little traffic on them, no buses, but trucks (lorries) use them a lot for stock and forestry transport. Fun to drive on if you don't meet anything coming the other way.

End of geography lesson mate.

speed8

posted on 1/11/06 at 05:27 PM Reply With Quote
If I remember right its other name is 'The Road of Death' obviously in Spanish...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.