Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: R1 self diagnostics
kurt

posted on 7/11/06 at 07:19 PM Reply With Quote
R1 self diagnostics

Why is my tacho reading 8000rpm, i.e registering that there is something wrong with the fuel sender wiring, when i've got an R1 fuel sender connected. I've asked this before but with no joy, so I'm trying again. I've tried the resistor across the connectors trick, aswell as fitting a variable resistor across the connnectors to try and adjust the resistance to find out what resistance stops the self diagnostics triggering, but no result. I finally got a fuel sender from a breakers, but still the tacho needle dances through it's error routine. The sender is not in the tank, it is mounted behind the scuttle as I've fitted a seperate fuel gauge which works fine. I've also tried a replacement sender in case the other one was faulty, still nowt, any ideas?
ChrisGamlin

posted on 7/11/06 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
Are you sure its not the EXUP error code, which is 7k I think?

Catpuss

posted on 7/11/06 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
Check for continuity along the wires from (I guess) the ECU to the fuel sender. It may be a dirty contact or broken wire.

You could check this link Linky to Plug problem

kurt

posted on 7/11/06 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
It's definitely not the EXUP because that's wired in and does it's little whurring sound when the ignition is switched on.
speed8

posted on 8/11/06 at 12:09 AM Reply With Quote
Do you have the bike gauges because you can get the ECU fault code from there.

Does the engine run? Diagnostic Code 08 means that the bike has overturned but I don't know if that's the same as 8krpm and if the engine runs then it probably isn't the same.

This is on a 5PW by the way.

Winston Todge

posted on 8/11/06 at 10:16 AM Reply With Quote
I am using the 5JJ clocks on a 4XV motor and receive the 8k fault code when the ECU doesn't sense that a fuel sender is attached.

This thread explains a little more...

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=45631

All I have done to remove this code is take the green/yellow wire going to the ECU to ground through a 1k 0.25W resistor.

Shout if you need pictures...

Chris.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
zxrlocost

posted on 8/11/06 at 10:32 AM Reply With Quote
I had an 8k one and it was the fuel sender

that little green plug on the loom bridge it with a bit of wire your fuel light will come on but see if the error goes away did for me

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

kurt

posted on 8/11/06 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies. I'm going to check the wire from the sender to the clocks and if that's ok, then the 1k resistor dodge again. I've tried this before but no joy so will try again once I've got the dash off, again!
Coose

posted on 8/11/06 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
I soldered a 10k resistor across the fuel sender wires on my 5JJ as it was the only one I had. It worked though!

Spin 'er off Well...

zxrlocost

posted on 9/11/06 at 09:11 AM Reply With Quote
try no resistor just a piece of wire across the green plug

all that will happen is the fuel light will come on

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.