Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 1st Motorbike?
carnut

posted on 26/11/06 at 06:52 PM Reply With Quote
1st Motorbike?

Can anyone think of a good bike to get as a 1st bike? I have full licence but dont want anything too big as it'll be a pain to insure and its a bit dangerous. Ive got an idea but i'll keep it to myself until theres been some posts on here. Bike needs to be cool, resonably fast but preferably not a sports bike.

Cheers
Carnut

worX

posted on 26/11/06 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
Cool Bike...

If you want to stay away from sports bike, but want something really cool that not everyone has got, get a Ducati Monster.
If you're worried about reliability of one, but like the idea get a Honda Hornet.
Loads of pics of both on t'internet if you don't know the bikes...

cheers,
Steve. (Honda CBR600RR with full carbon track fairings, no lights mirrors etc -as my road bike!)

Gav

posted on 26/11/06 at 07:02 PM Reply With Quote
Get an old 250 2 stroke, carnt beat the smell of Castrol R!
Had a Kawasaki KR-1S myself

tim windmill

posted on 26/11/06 at 07:02 PM Reply With Quote
bandit 600???
rayward

posted on 26/11/06 at 07:21 PM Reply With Quote
i,d second the 600 monster.

good fun bike,i had mine 2 years, no reliability problems at all.
Ray

fesycresy

posted on 26/11/06 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
First bike and considering the shite winter weather get a trailie.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

Peteff

posted on 26/11/06 at 07:36 PM Reply With Quote
Buy the Revere from Dazza and ride it till you decide what you want. It's shaft drive V twin so no chain maintenance and the single sided swing arm looks cool. If you want something newer and sportier I would go for the 600 Hornet. Here's a review of the Monster . I frequent the local bike shop and they currently have a matt black one in and the mechanic is dreading it selling as he knows it will be back. He says they always misfire on the back cylinder.

[Edited on 26/11/06 by Peteff]

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

big_wasa

posted on 26/11/06 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
Kawasaki Gpz5oo

Infact I want another.

stevebubs

posted on 26/11/06 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
Mid-Range 600 (Bandit, Monster) would be my choice

Or...take a look at what the courier guys use - NTV etc and buy the one you like the look / feel of.

FWIW, I went straight from an N125R to ZX-7R and found the larger bike actually easier to ride as the large tyres etc actually gave it more stability.

Just be warned - if you've not been riding for long, you *will* fall off - especially in poor weather. Just make sure you ride it so that it's not a fatal fall.

jambojeef

posted on 26/11/06 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
Having never owned a "cool" bike Im not especially well placed to offer you any advice on that aspect but Id say go for something cheap and reasonably pokey that you can have fun on - I reckon a VFR 400 is they way
carnut

posted on 26/11/06 at 07:55 PM Reply With Quote
i was thinking about a thruxton.
pathfinder

posted on 26/11/06 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
My bike instructor told me to get the biggest bike I could afford to insure as you would soon find yourself growing out of a 600, not what I was expecting him to say at all.
I’m thinking of getting a Buell XB9 in the spring. Go for something without a fairing, loads cheaper on the insurance!

Peteff

posted on 26/11/06 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
I’m thinking of getting a Buell XB9 in the spring.

They are an acquired taste. The front brake disk on the rim is weird and will cost a fortune if you ever need a new one. They had one in the shop earlier this year, the bloke who brought it in had it for 3 weeks, tried to take it back where he bought it and they offered him half what he paid for it. He declined their offer.

Thruxtons look cool in a retro sort of way. You could get a MZ Baghira, Mastiff or Skorpion if you want to be different.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

andrews_45

posted on 26/11/06 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
two stroke
Mansfield

posted on 26/11/06 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
I have this for sale if you are interested.

M reg, rattles a bit from cold which could be the camchain, but once warm its fine.

6 months T&T, in pretty good condition, 29K, £600. Rescued attachment Picture 023a.jpg
Rescued attachment Picture 023a.jpg

iiyama

posted on 26/11/06 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
My first bike was a YZF600R. Damn good and more of a bike then Ill ever be rider.

Oh and its now for sale!!!

If you want details then send a U2U.

Ian

If its broke, fix it. If it aint broke, take it apart and find out how it works!

givemethebighammer

posted on 26/11/06 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
The Suzuki GSX600F is a good compromise between a full on sports bike and something like the bandit.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SUZUKI-GSX600F-NO-RESERVE_W0QQitemZ150063337408QQihZ005QQcategoryZ9808QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

mookaloid

posted on 26/11/06 at 10:25 PM Reply With Quote
I really like these.

Easy to ride, fast enough to kill yourself on. comfy etc etc.

Honda Transalp Rescued attachment 72926.jpg
Rescued attachment 72926.jpg

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

thunderace

posted on 26/11/06 at 10:25 PM Reply With Quote
HAVING RODE NEARLY EVERY BIKE GOING OVER THE YEARS (MAINLINE BIKE FROM 85 TO TODAY) I WOULD BUY MYSELF SOMTHING LIKE THE THUNDERCAT.CHEAP EASY TO RIDE AND A GOOD ALLROUNDER.
mark chandler

posted on 26/11/06 at 11:11 PM Reply With Quote
As above somewhere, VFR400, fantastic little bikes with the biggest grin factor going.

You can climb all over them, great for tracks and will always make you smile.

The one I had a few years ago cost £1,500, sold for simlar money after a couple of years... these things do not devalue, owners know how good they are.

Regards Mark

TimC

posted on 27/11/06 at 09:01 AM Reply With Quote
Not a biker (know I'd kill myself) but if I were you, I think I'd get a Buell.

DEAN C.

posted on 27/11/06 at 05:47 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,I havn't ridden much for 20 years and decided to pass my test in march this year,I'm now 42 and decided that I would buy somthing old and comfy and easy to ride,just until my old velocette venom is finished.

So I bought a CBR1000F 1987 low mileage!!!!!Lad I bought it from said he'd tuned it a little and bottled it on a trackday when he got to 172mph!He only told me that after i'd paiid him.
Well its old and comfy being a sports tourer!
Found my mates Thundrace really easy to ride but after half an hour my ars@ goes numb and my back aches a lot!
The question now is:will I make to 43?

Once I've finished a project why do I start another?

Peteff

posted on 27/11/06 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
The question now is:will I make to 43?

I've always rode bikes and I'm a bit older than that Know your and your bikes' limitations and you'll survive. You'll still scare yourself occasionally

yours, Pete

JoelP

posted on 27/11/06 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
build one. Id recommend a CEB, with a pinto engine.
Coose

posted on 27/11/06 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
I've always rode bikes and I'm a bit older than that Know your and your bikes' limitations and you'll survive. You'll still scare yourself occasionally

I hate to wee on your bonfire Pete, but you'd be surprised at what a bike can do if you treat it right. I have been hillclimbing bikes for the last umpteen years, and over the last three years there has been a chap turning up on various different BMWs and riding them like you wouldn't believe!

He's in his early 60's, ALWAYS rides to the events, tie-wraps on his number boards and off he goes in his open-faced helmet. He uses touring tyres, and recently on his K100RS (which cost him less than a grand and has done 160k miles! ) he did a time at Oliver's Mount which I'm embarrassed about, beautifully chamfering his sump in the process!

It's not about knowing the limit of the bike as it has limits far exceeding the rider, it's about feeling what is happening and reacting accordingly.....

[Edited on 27/11/06 by Coose]

Spin 'er off Well...

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.