Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: ally hubs
rojabuck

posted on 18/7/03 at 12:29 PM Reply With Quote
ally hubs

Are aliminium sierra hubs avalable or lighweight versions of the hubs?

Any info would be much appreciated

Roja

www.ignitedminds.net - build diary

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
andyps

posted on 18/7/03 at 01:44 PM Reply With Quote
I think I saw them on the Westfield website, not cheap though!

Andy

An expert is someone who knows more and more about less and less

Simon

posted on 18/7/03 at 01:53 PM Reply With Quote
Roja,

Others can contradict me (please!) but I wouldn't have thought a great deal of weight would be saved by using ally uprights (maybe 5-10lbs), more if you use u/r, hubs, and cf discs.

It's been discussed on here before. I can't remember who, unfortunately, but they suggested that look to where the biggest savings can be made to start with (engine/box, then alloys over steels) all the way down to using ally screws over steel screws (bit extreme I know, but hopefully helps explain the point):

Instead of using (like I am) a Rover V8 (130kgs)/LT77 box (65kgs), use bike engine (75ksg (very ish!) instantly saving 120kgs.

If you really want ally uprights/hubs, Westfield do them:

Hubs:£209
Uprights £303

Is it worth it?

ATB

Simon

Findlay234

posted on 18/7/03 at 02:16 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah but using the ally hubs isnt about reducing overall weight, its about reducing the unsprung weight to improve handling.

Have you thought about following rorty's lead and fabricating your own uprights?

Simon

posted on 18/7/03 at 02:57 PM Reply With Quote
Fin,

Agree, but at the end of the day, would you notice the benefits on a road car, and is it worth 500 quid

ATB

Simon

Rorty

posted on 19/7/03 at 05:55 AM Reply With Quote
Simon:
quote:

the biggest savings can be made to start with...alloys over steels

When was the last time you saw an alloy wheel lighter than its steel counterpart? The savings with alloys really only take effect once you go over 16 inch diameter. With the exception of some 3 piece spun/billet wheels such as those from Image Wheels.

quote:

but at the end of the day, would you notice the benefits on a road car, and is it worth 500 quid

Not unless you drive like you're on a track!

Cheers, Rorty.

"Faster than a speeding Pullet".

PLEASE DON'T U2U ME IF YOU WANT A QUICK RESPONSE. TRY EMAILING ME INSTEAD!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
rojabuck

posted on 19/7/03 at 01:14 PM Reply With Quote
important

As far as i am aware, unsprung mass is very important, especially when you are going balls out! though i have taken those prices into due consideration

It matters little now anyway as my entire chassis looks like it may have to go back to luego as there seems to be a slight manufacturing fault Who know, will keep you updated!

Roja

ned

posted on 21/7/03 at 08:36 AM Reply With Quote
i would have thought a better way to reduce unsprung mass would be to change the brakes, cheaper than the hubs you could get some nice light wilwoods for the front which would improve stopping power too.

Just my 3p's etc etc.

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

dozracing

posted on 21/7/03 at 10:18 AM Reply With Quote
I have a pair of alloy hubs for sale made from aerospace spec 7075.

Email of list if intersted.

Darren@gtstuning.co.uk

Kind regards,

Darren

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

rojabuck

posted on 21/7/03 at 11:52 AM Reply With Quote
email

you have mail

roja

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.