Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Towing Dolly Hire
rayroni

posted on 3/7/07 at 12:04 PM Reply With Quote
Towing Dolly Hire

Anybody know where you can hire a braked towing dolly in the Nottingham - Derby Area?

Something like this:-
http://www.trailers.co.uk/uk/List/Trailers/T|00023?show_vat=1

owelly

posted on 3/7/07 at 02:32 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry to be of not much help in answering your question but why do you want one? Surely a trailer would be more use? Don't forget, that if any of the towed vehicle wheels touch the road, it has to be fully road legal. I'm also certain there is a specific criteria for those using them ie "for recovery use only"?

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
gingerprince

posted on 3/7/07 at 02:49 PM Reply With Quote
yep recovery only, towed vehicle has to be road legal and speed is limited to something stoopid like 40mph.
rayroni

posted on 3/7/07 at 03:26 PM Reply With Quote
Basically I am hoping to book my SVA soon, but before I (probably) drive the 15 miles I want to give the car a shakedown, to check it out, remove the shine of the brakes, and possibly set the brake balance. About 2-3 miles up the road is an old factory car park which would be ideal - problem is getting it there, and wanted to keep the cost and hassle down of hiring down a full size trailer.
matt_claydon

posted on 3/7/07 at 03:36 PM Reply With Quote
They are recovery only, even if braked, because when using one of these there are two points of articulation and hence you are effectively towing two trailers in a train. This is not legal in the UK.

Get a trailer - safer, you can reverse if necessary and probably won't cost much more.

gingerprince

posted on 3/7/07 at 04:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rayroni
Basically I am hoping to book my SVA soon, but before I (probably) drive the 15 miles I want to give the car a shakedown, to check it out, remove the shine of the brakes, and possibly set the brake balance. About 2-3 miles up the road is an old factory car park which would be ideal - problem is getting it there, and wanted to keep the cost and hassle down of hiring down a full size trailer.

Book an MOT very near the car park, then if you get stopped you're going to a pre-booked appointment

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.