Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: toyota Hilux
quattromike

posted on 13/1/08 at 10:13 PM Reply With Quote
toyota Hilux

I'm thinking of buyin a hilux for myself. prob. a mk 5 d4d double cab 4x4. I just have a few questions on them, can anyone help?

what's the difference between a 270 an a 280?

an is there any decent engine mods I can do to up the power a bit more that a tunning chip that gives 125bhp(that's only 22 more than standard )

"At the end of the day, I think it's going to get very dark"

Bob C

posted on 13/1/08 at 11:49 PM Reply With Quote
Don't fire the machine gun forwards - recoil must knock some off the top speed
locogeoff

posted on 14/1/08 at 12:37 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by quattromike
an is there any decent engine mods I can do to up the power a bit more that a tunning chip that gives 125bhp(that's only 22 more than standard )

maybe you should read PJ O'Rourke's article on the high performance driving characteristics of pick up trucks before you install more power

found this

“Driving a pickup at high speed is a difficult skill to master. The first step is to assume the proper driving position: Use one hand to firmly grasp the drip rail on the roof. This takes the place of shoulder harness, lap belt, and air bag and lets you give the finger to people with anti-handgun bumper stickers on their cars. Then place your other hand on the gearshift knob so you'll always know what gear you're in (which is second, as I pointed out before). Now take your third hand...Perhaps some picture of the difficulty is beginning to emerge. Anyway, be sure to balance your beer can carefully in your lap.

The second step is to drive over to the 7-Eleven and get more beer. Use your down vest to mop up the one you spilled all over your crotch as you backed out the driveway.

The third step is cornering technique. There are three ways to take a high-speed curve in a pickup. The first way is to use the traditional racecar driver's "late apex": Go deep into the curve at full speed doing all your downshifting and useless brake-pedal pumping in a straight line. Then, in one smooth motion, turn the wheel to the full extent necessary for the curve. Aim for an apex slightly past the geometrical apex of the inside edge of the curve and slowly bring the steering wheel back to straight ahead as you reapply the throttle. This will put your truck into the woods. The second way to take a fast curve is to come into the curve slightly slower, dial in a greater amount of steering, and stay on the throttle so as to propel the truck into a "power slide." This will put your truck in the woods too. The third method is to come to a full stop before entering the curve and have a beer. While you're doing that someone else will come along in another pickup truck and knock you into the woods anyway.”

[Edited on 14/1/08 by locogeoff]

Phil.J

posted on 14/1/08 at 09:29 AM Reply With Quote
Buy a 4x4, not the 2 wheel drive version, they are classed as a commercial vehicle and are speed restricted.
quattromike

posted on 14/1/08 at 11:36 AM Reply With Quote
Cheers for the useful stuff so far

I'm going to look at another one today mabey that guy will know the difference between 270 an 280!

Keep up the good work

speedyxjs

posted on 14/1/08 at 02:52 PM Reply With Quote
Good choice of pickup. You could leave it in the ocean, put it on top of a building and blow it up or drive to the north pole and it will still work

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

quattromike

posted on 15/1/08 at 12:12 AM Reply With Quote
Ok just bought an 03 Hilux d4d 270 gx double cab, I still don't know the difference from a 270 an a 280 but the deal is done now.
I'll still be lookin out for some decent mods to do.

I'm gonna be a truckie whoo hoo!!!!

chunkytfg

posted on 15/1/08 at 12:56 AM Reply With Quote
I have a 2004 double cab 280 and my missus worked for a toyotas dealer at the time we bought it.

If I'm honest IIRC the only difference is that the 280 was produced after the 270.

spec wise they are the same.

E/w front and rear
Air con
15" 5 spoke alloys

quattromike

posted on 16/1/08 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
OK pickin her up tomorrow night

Is'nt it ace gettin a new vehicle to plunge about in.

It won't be long an I'll be lookin for ways to make her go faster

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.