Board logo

Private plate
chris_smith - 15/1/17 at 08:22 PM

So if my donor is a T reg, and my kit gets an age related T reg then can I put a private plate on it up to a T?
Or can you not put private plates on kits?

snowy2 - 15/1/17 at 08:25 PM

as i understand it (i am going through the same process) if you get an age related plate its non transferable (so you cannot sell it on) but you can buy and fit a private number..... its only a problem if you get a "Q" plate......in which case your stuck with it for the cars life.

theduck - 15/1/17 at 08:28 PM

as you have said, normal rules apply for an age related.

ReMan - 15/1/17 at 08:53 PM

My understanding, same position as mine, is that you CAN PUT A PRIVATE PLATE ON

skydivepaul - 15/1/17 at 10:26 PM

You can get some very cheap non age related northern Irish plates on eBay
I got RIG 2317 for my car last year after the previous owner wanted to keep the original plate on the car for £56 plus the transfer fee

nick205 - 16/1/17 at 09:10 AM

Never did it on my MK Indy (age related plate), but my understanding is you can change plates on a kit car unless it's Q reg, in which case I believe the Q plate has to stay.

I've transferred plates on normal tin tops and it has to be said the DVLA aren't the sharpest bunch around. Last one I did on SWMBOs tin top the DVLA website said "no" - for no apparent reason. I wrote to them and explained, they wrote back and said "no" - for no apparent reason. Tried again online and it went straight through without an issue. Spares websites have since recognised the private plate without hesitation as well.

Insurace? A slight bug-bear in that they tried to charge a £50 "admin" fee for the plate change. SWMBO got politely stroppy with them on the phone and they backed off. Chancers? I think so.

ash_hammond - 16/1/17 at 03:43 PM

I did it.

Bought a J plated sierra, got an age related plate and applied my private J prefixed plate with no issues.