Board logo

setting ride heights on inboard suspension?
daniel mason - 24/10/10 at 08:09 AM

how do you go about setting ride heights with the inboard suspension set up?
when i fitted the shocks/springs and pushrods the car was on axle stands and i put the lower wishbone just past parralel sloping down towards the wheels ( to allow for a bit of drop in the middle once its on its wheels) but now its on the ground it has dropped more than i thougt meaning the wishbones are beyond parralel the other way with the front end sitting too low!
do i need a spring compressor to enable me to extend the shock slightly as even when i extend the pushrods to the point where there is hardly any threads left its still not enough! cheers

blakep82 - 24/10/10 at 08:16 AM

if you have adjustable spring platforms on the shocks, you should only need to lift the front of the car and wind them in i think

daniel mason - 24/10/10 at 08:52 AM

i should have said this before but when you lift the front end,taking the weight off the suspension, the wheels then droop a bit causing the suspension rocker arm to tilt. which then causes the upper shock mounting bolt on the rocker arm touches the chassis rail! only once the weight is on the suspension does the mount clear the chassis

snapper - 24/10/10 at 09:39 AM

I think you need to sort this as in normal use the suspension will move past the normal position as thecar unloads. Bump and rebound

JoelP - 24/10/10 at 12:04 PM

yeah, you cant have it doing that because when you go over a bump the wheel will drop and you might bend or break something.

Are the shocks definately the correct length when open? Can the bolt go in the other way round?

MikeRJ - 24/10/10 at 01:10 PM

As a starting point, and assuming you have roughly the correct spring rate then adjust the preload (spring platform) so the dampers are about 1/3 compressed with the weight of the car and driver on them, and then adjust the pushrods to get the correct ride height.

If you can't get anywhere near this then it sounds like your pushrods are too short.

Obvioulsy this will only give you a very rough set up, you should get the car corner weighted to get it set up properly.

iain b - 24/10/10 at 03:40 PM

you may have the rocker the wrong way round this will give more movement in the wrong direction(only maybe)