Board logo

Borrow Steering wheel puller
R1minimagic - 23/11/09 at 02:24 PM

Has anyone got a puller i can borrow for 5 mins near Hyde SK14, swap for beer tokens?

britishtrident - 23/11/09 at 02:38 PM

Just use rubber mallet -- just gently pull/rock on the side opposite where you are hitting it.

Safety Warning --- leave the nut on a couple of thread, the wheel tends to jump off suddenly and more than few people have ended up with black eyes or broken noses -- I jest not.

blakep82 - 23/11/09 at 02:43 PM

quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
Safety Warning --- leave the nut on a couple of thread, the wheel tends to jump off suddenly and more than few people have ended up with black eyes or broken noses -- I jest not.

my dad even did that with my removable wheel

Mr Whippy - 23/11/09 at 03:05 PM

I don’t recommend hitting the wheel as many columns feature pins that shear in a crash to allow the column to collapse. Shearing them can cause excessive play or unwanted movement of the column. Only use a puller.

Davey D - 23/11/09 at 03:33 PM

spray some WD40 or similar onto the end of the splines, and leave for 10mins. it always seems to help when ive removed steering wheels in the past

R1minimagic - 23/11/09 at 04:09 PM

Cheers i sprayed it this morning and left it soaking, seems rather stubborn and it is a brand new motolita wheel so i dont want to damage it with a hammer!

02GF74 - 23/11/09 at 05:06 PM

a puller is £ 5, it will come in useful but you will inevitably find the legs are tantalisingly never the right shape or length.

Johneturbo - 23/11/09 at 05:28 PM

Also make sure you leave the nut on, or you'll end up punchin yaself in the mouth

ETA you've already been warned.
teach me for not reading the whole tread!

[Edited on 23/11/09 by Johneturbo]

R1minimagic - 23/11/09 at 06:54 PM

All the ones i have seen are about 30 quid and they are not really the right attachments in the kit, i think i can make one with my flywheel puller and just buy some long M4 bolts

Cheers
Dale