Board logo

clear or tinted glass
smart51 - 24/2/09 at 03:53 PM

I'm about to make a windscreen template for my new 3 wheeler. The glass supplier asked a question I wasn't expecting: "clear or tinted glass?", that's the green UV coating that most production winscreens have to stop the car heating up and to stop sunburn. The 3 wheeler will have a roof and door but not aircon. It is worth me paying the extra for the tint? Will MSVA object?

hellbent345 - 24/2/09 at 04:14 PM

doenst work in my car! gets chuffin hot with the tiniest amount of sunlight, but it might be that without it it would be even worse! couldnt imagine getting into a car hotter but still! depends how much the tint is i would say. Also if its just the colour of normal windscreen glass then it should be fine for sva if you do go for tint...?

[Edited on 24/2/09 by hellbent345]

stevebubs - 24/2/09 at 04:20 PM

Go for the looks - which will look better on the vehicle?

speedyxjs - 24/2/09 at 04:26 PM

I think its mainly for the uv rays. Never heard of the heat prevention thing though.
I would personally go for it.

smart51 - 24/2/09 at 04:30 PM

quote:
Originally posted by speedyxjs
I think its mainly for the uv rays. Never heard of the heat prevention thing though.

The UV rays are (partly) what heat the car up. Blocking them reduces the heating.

blakep82 - 24/2/09 at 06:46 PM

how much extra are we talking?

AR-CoolC - 24/2/09 at 08:50 PM

The type of tint in flat laminated glass will only give a negligable (sp?) amount of heat absorbsion maybe 5-10% at most, but it will look a lot nicer.

As long as it has the correct BS markings then it will be fine for SVA too.

speedyxjs - 24/2/09 at 08:56 PM

quote:
Originally posted by smart51
quote:
Originally posted by speedyxjs

The UV rays are (partly) what heat the car up. Blocking them reduces the heating.

I didnt know that. You learn something every day