Board logo

TESTICLES.....
Krismc - 23/3/11 at 03:26 PM

Box full of light fittings fell down in garage and done this, what should i do??

Yes thats 5 marks in carbon fibre and a few cracks and the main one is actually i small hole! ideas welcome.

[Edited on 23/3/11 by Krismc]

jossey - 23/3/11 at 03:38 PM

time travel?

sorry to hear mate. good luck with a fix.....

scudderfish - 23/3/11 at 03:41 PM

What part is it?

Krismc - 23/3/11 at 03:44 PM

quote:
Originally posted by jossey
time travel?

Hmm i did use the words FUUCCS Capacitor when i seen it

mookaloid - 23/3/11 at 03:44 PM

quote:
Originally posted by scudderfish
What part is it?

I think it's the transmission tunnel

Krismc - 23/3/11 at 03:46 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mookaloid
quote:
Originally posted by scudderfish
What part is it?

I think it's the transmission tunnel

Yep tunnel cover, just infront of handbrake, the most visible part of carbon fibre i have on my car

ken555 - 23/3/11 at 04:02 PM

I guess make a new one

Krismc - 23/3/11 at 04:07 PM

It took me 5 years to build the car, it will take me a further 5 to make a new tranmission tunnel, i was hoping someone could advise on resin filling or sumthing?

or else its going to be a stratigically placed sticker.

hughpinder - 23/3/11 at 04:10 PM

Thats bloody unlucky

I can't think I've ever seen that sort of thing mended 'invisibly' unfortunately

Hugh

jabbahutt - 23/3/11 at 04:12 PM

I know that it would be covereing it but what about that 3M carbon vinyl that people on here are raving about?

Peteff - 23/3/11 at 04:21 PM

Put a Locostbuilder sticker on it.

Richard Quinn - 23/3/11 at 04:47 PM

Claim on your household insurance policy?

blakep82 - 23/3/11 at 04:54 PM

might be able to spray laquer over it, and lots of polishing?
think i seen a viseo on youtube somewhere ages ago showing how to cover mirrors and stuff with proper carbon. basically they brushed resin on, laid the carbon fibre over to stick it down, and instead of the way resin normally makes the top layer in the 'bottom' of the mould, they sprayed several coats of laquer over the top, as painting resin on would leave brush marks.
might be worth a shot?

Davey D - 23/3/11 at 05:59 PM

You wont be able to fix that to look like nothing has happened, the impact has caused the resin to pull away from the carbon weave :-(

the only thing to do other than replace the whole tunnel is to either paint over it which will hide the carbon, or as said above get some of the stick on 3M carbon stuff to cover it. The recess for the handbrake may be awkward though

scootz - 23/3/11 at 06:04 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
Put a Locostbuilder sticker on it.

+1

steve m - 23/3/11 at 06:57 PM

"Claim on your household insurance policy?"

House hold insurance does not cover any car damage, well mine didnt when i had a garage fire, and my 7 << got damaged

Guinness - 23/3/11 at 06:59 PM

+1 for a sticker!

StevieB - 23/3/11 at 07:02 PM

If it's on fully comp insurance, put the policy to use and claim.

If not, strategic sticker until you can buy/build a new one

scootz - 23/3/11 at 07:05 PM

I wouldn't be going anywhere near my insurance for that!

You'll be paying for it for years!

Irony - 23/3/11 at 07:41 PM

Just get some fake carbon fibre vinyl sticker

loggyboy - 23/3/11 at 07:48 PM

Buy a cheap FG one (maybe with fake CF) them sell the CF one on ebay. Its pointless CF anyway so doesnt need to be the real thing.

Krismc - 23/3/11 at 08:02 PM

Just seen a good sticker on ebay, a arrow sticker with the word dent on it!

ettore bugatti - 23/3/11 at 08:27 PM

Why dont you add something like a leather padding (arm rest?)

Otherwise, drill it out

Krismc - 24/3/11 at 09:18 AM

Yea, had too put leather cladding on passenger side of dash for iva, he didn't like double sided so I had to silicone it on, I've pulled it off but the silicone mark has already caused me hrs off sore fingers picking it off, and also still looks crap.

So my 2 most expensive and great looking pieces off body work, look poop.

TimEllershaw - 24/3/11 at 09:42 AM

How about a little panel with a switch of some sort, or maybe the jack plug sockets for an intercom ?

-just need something that looks like it was supposed to be there

Tim.

AvonZX9R - 27/3/11 at 07:51 PM

How about a painted (bodywork orange) design on the tunnel. Nothing too fancy but something that looks planned and 'right'. I wouldnt use the 3M carbon vinyl because it wont match the tunnel weave and will look bad. I would go for something contrasting - hence the orange paint idea. Just my 2 penneth. Good luck with whatever you choose - and makes me want to go and double check my bike rack etc on the garage wall!!!!!

Steve Hignett - 27/3/11 at 08:04 PM

U2U Kris...

Krismc - 28/3/11 at 06:35 PM

REPLIED

blakep82 - 29/3/11 at 08:24 PM

had a quick try of the laquer over resin on my CF dashboard

works alright i think

Krismc - 29/3/11 at 08:27 PM

quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
had a quick try of the laquer over resin on my CF dashboard

works alright i think

Tell me more?

blakep82 - 29/3/11 at 08:32 PM

i'd mentioned it on the first page

the laquer is pretty messed up on the dash board, all scratched so you can't really see the carbon through it. i'd seen one of carbon mods videos, where they are covering a plastic mirror in carbon, sticking it down with resin, but then spraying clear laquer over the top instead of resin.

soooo, on my dash, nothing to lose, gave it a shot today. if you can sand out most of the scratching with wet and dry paper (won't help with the hole sadly) and get it smooth, but not very see through, spray a few coats of laquer (the one i tried with today was just a halfords one) it should polish up alright, and at least help with some of the scratching

[Edited on 29/3/11 by blakep82]

Mr Whippy - 29/3/11 at 08:33 PM

clear nail varnish. I use it on my model planes, great stuff soakes in and can be polished

Krismc - 29/3/11 at 08:40 PM

quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
i'd mentioned it on the first page

the laquer is pretty messed up on the dash board, all scratched so you can't really see the carbon through it. i'd seen one of carbon mods videos, where they are covering a plastic mirror in carbon, sticking it down with resin, but then spraying clear laquer over the top instead of resin.

soooo, on my dash, nothing to lose, gave it a shot today. if you can sand out most of the scratching with wet and dry paper (won't help with the hole sadly) and get it smooth, but not very see through, spray a few coats of laquer (the one i tried with today was just a halfords one) it should polish up alright, and at least help with some of the scratching

I shall try this and the nail varnish and do a write up, its C$$ked up already so cant make it worse

Krismc - 29/3/11 at 08:46 PM

what about adding extra resin??

blakep82 - 29/3/11 at 08:46 PM

i guess you could do, but you'll end up with brush marks and stuff i guess. i'll see if i can find that video

here it is
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rTWaV1imzs

Benonymous - 30/3/11 at 03:22 AM

I've had some success with painting on resin. I use a slow curing hardener and then use a new (cheap) brush to put it on.

Slow hardener allows the resin to flow and flatten out on its own. Provided you can get the part into a position where the resin won't run off (might be difficult on that bit) it's probably worth a go. I have the advantage of the part being primarily flat ( a table top ) but it might be OK on a curved part.

The only downside is that it will need a fair bit of work to get it looking like a carbon part should. Also, watch out for air bubbles. If you have any you can pop them with a bit of heat from a heat gun. Be judicious with the heat.

I do think the clear nail polish idea would probably work out well too. You might have to do a couple of layers so take it easy.

Good luck!

mangogrooveworkshop - 30/3/11 at 05:38 AM

Im going to sound a little harsh here.
But here goes ..... dont be a polisher......stick a sticker over it and go out and drive it instead.

After a while shiney parts like this get scuffs and stuff.
I see a lot of sevens that never get used and its a shame ...five years to build and you are worrying about that...wait till you get the little stones showering you....... on volkers caterham his sticky tyres used to put rooster tails out the front and back and they used to scratch the carbon in the front mudguards.....

Its a car just drive it

Krismc - 30/3/11 at 07:18 AM

quote:
Originally posted by mangogrooveworkshop
Im going to sound a little harsh here.
But here goes ..... dont be a polisher......stick a sticker over it and go out and drive it instead.

After a while shiney parts like this get scuffs and stuff.
I see a lot of sevens that never get used and its a shame ...five years to build and you are worrying about that...wait till you get the little stones showering you....... on volkers caterham his sticky tyres used to put rooster tails out the front and back and they used to scratch the carbon in the front mudguards.....

Its a car just drive it

I totally agree,

Im not too bothered about it but if i have spare time and a rainy day its getting attention before it cracks further, plus you rest on it when getting in car carbon cuts it, and it only took 8months building just 4 years at garages and vosa for engine.