Board logo

Chassis paint (again)
David Jenkins - 31/8/12 at 08:53 PM

I've just replaced 2 tubes on my chassis, and currently they're sporting a nice couple of coats of red oxide primer.

Now I want to give them a top coat of something that will be a reasonably close match to the original powder coat, so I'm looking at satin or matt black paint (probably satin). Before anyone posts, I know I'll never get a good match, but gloss is a definite no no!

I've made some enquiries, and found that real chassis paint is not viable: if I get it locally, it's gloss and comes in huge tins; if I order it on t'internet it costs a fortune and comes in tins that are still a bit big (even 750ml is a bit much - I've only got to give a square foot a couple of coats).

Now I've been looking around and I see that I can get brushable satin black external metal paint from Rustins or International in sensible sized tins (250ml) for a fraction of the price, and from local stores (B&Q, Homebase).

Has anyone any experience of these makes of paint, and how durable are they?

steve m - 31/8/12 at 09:10 PM

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=173265

David Jenkins - 31/8/12 at 09:17 PM

I saw that thread previously - I have done some searches! - but it only talks about gloss paint. I need a small tin of matt or satin black.

loggyboy - 31/8/12 at 09:19 PM

I just used £1 shop gloss black but didnt flat it back so it looks similar:

renetom - 1/9/12 at 06:11 AM

Hi
Blackfriars satin black
excellent outdoor paint for metalwork
Get it from Brewers or ? it comes in small tins.
good luck
René

contaminated - 1/9/12 at 11:08 AM

I used a red oxide primer and some cheap matt black metal paint from Wilkinsons. Two years later it still looks good.

bi22le - 1/9/12 at 11:25 AM

I have a small tin of hamarite satin that I use every year after wire brushing the rust of of my chassis.

David Jenkins - 1/9/12 at 12:23 PM

All sorted - got a 250ml tin of International black satin paint, and have already applied the first coat...

Confused but excited. - 1/9/12 at 12:30 PM

Too late for David but Lidl's have got large tins of metal paint in various colours, including black, in gloss and satin for a fiver.
Edited to say; Oops, bum steer from sister-in-law. The satin finish is in Acrylic, not metal paint. sorry if anyone dashed out for some.

[Edited on 1/9/12 by Confused but excited.]

David Jenkins - 1/9/12 at 03:25 PM

I've found one problem with this repair job... I'm getting ready to put it all back together, but I keep picking bits up and thinking "that would look better with a lick of paint"...

So apart from the 2 chassis tubes, I now have my lower wishbone, lower ball joint and steering shaft hanging up in the garage, each with a nice new coat of primer...
I've already decided to cure the engine's oil leak while it's out of the car, so that's another job to be done before I get back on the road.

In the software development world this is known as "feature creep", where new bright ideas push the delivery deadline further and further away... I keep thinking that the offside is going to look cleaner and nicer than the nearside when it all gets reassembled... NO, I must resist! (resistance is futile...)