Board logo

Doors?
BKLOCO - 8/4/15 at 05:45 AM

Hi all I haven't been active on here (or on the road) for several years.
I have spent this winter doing quite a bit of work on the car and it is now in a condition where I am close to putting it back on the road.
I would like to put some doors on it and I am going to make this my summer project.
Being a dab hand with the sewing machine and having got hold of an industrial machine from the auction. I thought I'd have a go at making them myself.
OK. Now the question.
Doess anyone know what frame material is sandwiched between the vinyl, to give the doors some rigidity?
Thanks in advance for any help on this.

benchmark51 - 8/4/15 at 03:22 PM

A friend of mine had some professionally made, but after a year or two they started rusting! So not too pleased
I thought ally or even a suitable plastic would be better. I have some half made in ally and may leave them bare or may
just use wrap.

theduck - 8/4/15 at 03:40 PM

Ali strips will do the job nicely.

motivforz - 8/4/15 at 03:58 PM

I plan on making some up this year. Although not locost, there's a composite panel called skybond but others are available. Nice and light but stiff, and can be laser cut with a paint finish applied in the factory. It's a laminate of plastic centre with very thin ally sheet bonded to both sides then painted, often used for sign making.