Board logo

MNR hand brake connections?
Krismc - 8/5/09 at 05:52 PM

Has every one used a sierra handbrake cable and the pivot supplied by MNR, then cut the sierra handbrake cable in 2 and put one either side of the pivot, then remade the ends... like this.....

Now i used rope grips to terminate the rope ends and the SVA man doesnt like them, anyone got any other options?

I can get ends swaged on ropes at work but then it will be difficult to get the tunnel on as i need the handbrake pointing to the sky to get the cover on, i put it half way lower the handbrake, then i adjust the mechanism and secure the tunnel.

Any one do this another way???

oldtimer - 8/5/09 at 06:01 PM

I don't hane an NMR , but, what was wrong with the sierra pivot?

iain b - 8/5/09 at 07:04 PM

yes thats it mate .just make sure u slacken the adjuster off a bit so u adjust the hand brake after tightening the clamps up

Davey D - 8/5/09 at 07:07 PM

ive done mine just like that, and there were no problems with it at SVA.

did the tester say what he didnt like about it? was it because the posibility of the clamps slipping, or the tight bend of the cable as it goes through the bar?

Krismc - 9/5/09 at 07:46 AM

He said they would slip, but i seen loads of 50KG/100KG goods lifts with just 6mm rope and one bulldog, and never seen one fail.

Some resturants put that many plates in them that they have fallen down the shaft but the ends always stay attached.

richardh - 9/5/09 at 10:32 AM

did mine the same way and no problems

dave107 - 11/5/09 at 12:19 PM

Just looking at options for mine same as your set up, i found the supplied quadrant to wide for position in tunnel were it goes, i'me looking at using a small pulley in place of the quadrand because the sierra cable only has one adjuster i think it would adjust both sides if the cable can move around a pulley, as well as using a rope clamp on each side i am going to use double crimps if i can get large enough ones these you can get from fishing tackle shops they are used for making traces for attaching fishing hooks for big game fishing IE: shark fishing.