Board logo

smiths fuel sender
chrisbeale - 6/1/12 at 11:12 AM

I am going to get a new fuel sender as I need a 0 to 230ish ohm one I believe for my classic gauge and currently I have an acewell digidash and sender at 100 ohms. Does anyone know if I can get a tube type sender for old gauges or do I need the float arm one?

steve m - 6/1/12 at 11:40 AM

Does your gauge work at all with your current setup?

As my smiths gauge does but is not acuret

I have set it up, so that as the needle sits on the red-normal line, i have one gallon of fuel left in the tank
this was done using a couple of resisters in the feed wire and adjusting the float level

when my tank is full my gauge reads, 1/2 to 3/4 but the lower empty marks are spot on

Steve

chrisbeale - 6/1/12 at 11:51 AM

Ah I will have a check.

steve m - 6/1/12 at 12:59 PM

Also, you will need votage stabilizer, as any current change will make the needle fluctuate

paulf - 6/1/12 at 09:39 PM

That sounds as if you have a smiths gauge with an early ford sender as that is what I have with the same results.I made an adjustable voltage reg for it and just set it to read empty with a gallon in the tank.I keep meaning to change to a smiths sender but have never got around to it.
Paul

quote:
Originally posted by steve m
Does your gauge work at all with your current setup?

As my smiths gauge does but is not acuret

I have set it up, so that as the needle sits on the red-normal line, i have one gallon of fuel left in the tank
this was done using a couple of resisters in the feed wire and adjusting the float level

when my tank is full my gauge reads, 1/2 to 3/4 but the lower empty marks are spot on

Steve