Board logo

Where is the Thermometer for outside temperature?
morcus - 5/3/10 at 07:15 PM

As the title, where abouts in cars is the sensor that says what the outside temperature is? I'm sure its in different places in different car but what sort of places is likely to be in?

I know its an odd question but it came up last night and I can't stop thinking about it. I can't think where it would be that wouldn't be massively thrown out by the the car being in use.

bigrich - 5/3/10 at 07:19 PM

some are in the front bumper , seen others fitted into the door mirror.

macc man - 5/3/10 at 07:45 PM

I had to change one on a vauxhall cavalier and it was fitted in the front bumper. Location depends on make and vehicle .

Ben_Copeland - 5/3/10 at 07:50 PM

All the vauxhalls i've have looked at are in the bumper, my mondeos one is, and the merc vito one is... although currently hanging down behind bumper instead

balidey - 5/3/10 at 08:09 PM

pretty sure my recent Peugeots and Citroens have all been in a little nub out the bottom of passenger wing mirrors

adithorp - 5/3/10 at 08:24 PM

The majority are in the front bumper/lower grill. However as these can be effected by heat from the radiator when stationary, some manufacturers have started fitting then in the door mirror.

adrian

morcus - 5/3/10 at 08:28 PM

Thanks for the replies. I'm guessing mines probably in the bumper as there are no lumps on the mirrors. Its a Panda (new style) just incase anyone knows specifically for my car.

westf27 - 5/3/10 at 09:07 PM

my van one is in the door mirror.On a cold day in traffic I hold on to it to make me feel warmer

R1minimagic - 5/3/10 at 09:21 PM

If it's in the bumper and you crash, how are you supposed to tell the temperature.......much better in the wing mirror!

[Edited on 5/3/10 by R1minimagic]

iscmatt - 5/3/10 at 10:15 PM

front lower grill on corsa c

morcus - 6/3/10 at 07:34 AM

surely in a crass knowing the temperature is the least of your worries.

:{THC}:YosamiteSam - 6/3/10 at 12:58 PM

the cars we make are next to or behind the hood catch.. by the way guys dont believe too much what the temp says - if you were to use a proper calibration lab under controlled circumstances its impossible to get them accurate.. too many variables against cost of parts etc.. we spent a long time trying to get that to work well.. it aint gonna happen so you could truly beleive it that much.. best guess would be couple of degrees near

[Edited on 6/3/10 by :{THC}:YosamiteSam]