Board logo

Dodge Caliber as daily driver?
Fred W B - 20/1/13 at 11:25 AM

I'm starting to think about getting a newer car to use as a daily driver. While not a car I initially considered I'm seeing 2011 and 2012 Dodge Calibers advertised at what looks to be a good price for the spec level.

Anybody have any experience with them? Am I mad to consider one?

A quick google shows some water leaks issues on early ones but hopefully that is sorted on later models

Cheers

Fred W B

[Edited on 20/1/13 by Fred W B]

mookaloid - 20/1/13 at 01:33 PM

I don't think they are very well thought of here - particularly if you actually like your driving

parkers guide review

britishtrident - 20/1/13 at 01:38 PM

At one stage in the UK the dealers had them on Bogof (Buy one get free)

scootz - 20/1/13 at 01:43 PM

Horrible machines... avoid!

Fred W B - 20/1/13 at 01:46 PM

Thanks for responses.

The later ones had an improved interior and 2.0 and 2.4 petrol engines. Guess I must take one for a drive.

Cheers

Fred W B

JoelP - 20/1/13 at 01:57 PM

You have to wonder why they are so cheap. No one wants them!

GonzoRacer - 20/1/13 at 02:24 PM

They don't have a very good reputation at home either, Sir. Some of the newer Chrysler products (cars) and their Ram trucks seem to be good quality, but that era of Chrysler product, not so much...

morcus - 20/1/13 at 06:35 PM

I still think it's funny that a car company can be taken over by FIAT and as a result make better put together cars, that said alot more has gone wrong with my ma's PT Cruiser than did with my Panda.

atm92484 - 20/1/13 at 08:47 PM

I would run away from that one very quickly thanks to the terrible build quality and driving experience.

I had one as a rental for two weeks and it was terrible. I would rather walk or hitch hike before having to deal with it every day.

deltron63 - 20/1/13 at 09:23 PM

NO NO NO !!!!!!!!!!! i work on them , rubbish

Fred W B - 18/2/13 at 07:31 PM

Bit of a belated reply but thanks all for the comments. Taking them to heart, and after considering Audi A4s (too much mileage / age at my budget+ concerns with cam wear), Chev cruze (bit boring), Volvo S40 (I don't think I,m old enough yet for a Volvo) amongst others I finally came to my senses and bought this

2010 model Honda Civic 1800 Vtec 6 speed with only 33 000 km (20 000 miles), lots of bells and whistles and in immaculate condition. I'm very happy with it

Cheers

Fred W B

[Edited on 18/2/13 by Fred W B]

Fred W B - 12/1/14 at 06:11 PM

I've not keen on the wheels on this car, so I finally got around to having them painted satin black, which I think improves the look considerably.

Just not sure if I should have the centre caps done as well (with a silver "H" or leave them like this?

Cheers

Fred W B

[Edited on 12/1/14 by Fred W B]

Xtreme Kermit - 12/1/14 at 07:54 PM

Looking good Fred. You could invert the black and white lettering...