Board logo

what kind of price is laser cutting?
smart51 - 21/9/09 at 12:33 PM

I'm thinking of making a strut brace for my cappuccino. They sometimes come up on the Japanese Yahoo bid thing but you have to a) read Japanese 2) find a seller who is willing to ship 3) pay the postage. Anyway there is a small demand for them so if I make one, I might make 2 or 3 for other club forum users.

So what's the going rate for laser cut bits. For each brace I would need 2 rings with 3 mounting holes in them, say 110mm OD and 70 ID plus 4 plates with a hole in perhaps 90mm tall and 50mm wide at the base.

I'm not sure what material is best. 3, 4 or 5mm mild steel plate, or for "Ooo" shininess perhaps stainless. What might it cost for a few of these to be made (from paper drawings)?

nick205 - 21/9/09 at 12:36 PM

There was a guy on here offering ater jut cutting wasn't there - might be another option.

Irony - 21/9/09 at 12:37 PM

I used to work for a company that got a few laser cut metal pieces cut by this company

http://www.ileicestershire.com/local/laser-cutting-services/

Give them a ring, I bet its much cheaper if you can draw up the parts yourself in CAD and send them the drawings.

smart51 - 21/9/09 at 12:37 PM

water jet is just as good.

blakep82 - 21/9/09 at 12:40 PM

theres a thread similar to this on the main page.
andyw7de is good for waterjet (happy customer myself )
flak monkey dave does laser cutting. not had anything done myself though

blakep82 - 21/9/09 at 12:45 PM

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=121921

smart51 - 21/9/09 at 01:13 PM

Thanks for the links. Anyone have any idea how much money are we talking about? £20? £200? £2000? I don't want to waste their time asking for a quote if the minimum order cost is prohibitive.

flak monkey - 21/9/09 at 01:17 PM

You wont be looking at much to get them cut.

No minimum order charge or silly delivery costs either.

If you can do a drawing of what you need I can get you a price.

Delivery is currently running at about 3 to 4 weeks though.

Cheers,
David

nasty-bob - 21/9/09 at 04:47 PM

to answer the question, it's more in the £20 order of magnitude. Its a time based calculation so the thicker the plate or the more cuts = more time.

Places do vary a huge amount though. Some quotes I've had in the past have been 5 times the best quote. Waterjet is generally more expensive than laser as it is slower for the thinner stuff.

Rob