Board logo

R-TEC tig welders?
tegwin - 4/6/09 at 08:31 PM

Anyone have any experience/critique of R-Tec TIG welders?

Their products look reasonable, and are a reasonable price..... and I work quite close to their main distribution centre!

http://www.r-techwelding.co.uk/welding_equipment/Tig_Welder

I am quite tempted to get their cheapest TIG welder for making some exhausts etc... do you think it would be man enough for the job? And is it a good price?

nasty-bob - 4/6/09 at 09:29 PM

i haven't got one but have used them for repairs. They seem a very helpful and honest company. I've been looking at their inverter mig welder which I'll probably get in a few months time (got to save up).

From my experience with them, I would recommend them.

All the best,

Rob

COREdevelopments - 4/6/09 at 09:52 PM

seems very reasonable. i would love to have an ac/dc tig and a plasma cutter. wheres that credit card!!

Rob

mark chandler - 4/6/09 at 09:55 PM

You should be able to TIG everything on a locost with the entry level £299 one, 100amps will easily do an exhaust or frame.

For myself I would ask they upgrade the torch to a water cooled item, these cost around £50 but the torches are much lighter and easier to use.

I made a cooler using a central heating water pump.

As for the company, I know nothing.

Regards Mark

tegwin - 4/6/09 at 10:01 PM

How does the water actually cool the torch? Does it make any difference?

I assume its just a case of pumping some "coolant" from a tank, into the torch and then through an air cooled radiator before returning to the tank? Doesnt sound like rocket science

minitici - 5/6/09 at 08:01 AM

I've got an R-Tech 200 amp AC/DC machine.
Pretty much has all the bells & whistles.

If you do get one buy the foot pedal (optional).

I've had mine about 9 months and had no problems.

mark chandler - 7/6/09 at 10:49 PM

Water cooled torch is light and easy to use, no fat cables getting in the way.

All you need is 1 gallon of water pumped through as you will not be generating enough heat to need to radiate this off.

Regards Mark