Board logo

Grouting Problem
John P - 17/2/10 at 07:39 PM

A few months ago I tiled a bathroom using Unibond All Purpose Tile Adhesive and Grout.

When the grout dried (there is a 3mm grout width) a line formed along the centre of the grout which appeaed to be the grout shrinking back.

I spoke to Unibond who said this wasn't a problem in that the tiling would still be fine but suggested if I was concerned cosmetically then I could simply rub some more grout into the marks which I did.

They said the cause was probably that the sponge I was using to wipe off the excess grout was too wet.

I've just done another tiling job for a neighbour and despite using an almost completely dry sponge have exactly the same problem which they don't like because they are concerned it's a crack.

Any ideas how to avoid this in the future.

John.

eznfrank - 17/2/10 at 07:43 PM

Sponge moistness is a key factor, too dry and it will drag it out, too wet and it will dilute it down.

My old man is a tiler of 30+ years and I used to spend my summer holidays as a young lad grouting for him. He always used to say just do one single sweep with a sponge, flip it over do another swipe and then rinse it out. When you wring it out just make it so that it stops dripping but still quite moist

mark.s - 17/2/10 at 07:53 PM

The all in ones (fix and grout) always shrink john

Try using a tile adhesive and seperate grout ....you wont go wrong with BAL

good luck

stonefish1 - 17/2/10 at 07:55 PM

as above.. spot on... and allways us a good quality sponge no 99p sponges that fall to bits in your grout...

Peteff - 17/2/10 at 08:00 PM

I run over with a piece of dowel with a taper on the end after it has dried for a while. Lean it over well so it doesn't dig in, like a pointing tool for mortar but not as heavy.

whitestu - 17/2/10 at 09:19 PM

Get some normal dry powder grout that you mix up before use. It's miles easier to use than the adhesive / grout.

Stu

macc man - 17/2/10 at 09:40 PM

Hi, I fit bathrooms for a living and always use separate adhesive & grout. Bal products are best, but a good sponge helps. Using a plastic spatula to run over joints makes for an even depth. Make sure sponge is not too wet. Best of luck.

MikeRJ - 18/2/10 at 12:34 PM

Never had much luck with grouting with a sponge; all the tiling I've done I've used a plastic spreader (like you get with car body filler) to force the grout into the gaps bewteen the tiles and used a bit of dowel like Pete suggests. Not the fastest solution I'm sure, but looks fine afterwards.

woodster - 18/2/10 at 01:11 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mark.s
The all in ones (fix and grout) always shrink john

Try using a tile adhesive and seperate grout ....you wont go wrong with BAL

good luck

i agree ...... the tile adhesive shrinks back a little to help in the bonding ....

Vindi_andy - 18/2/10 at 02:23 PM

Did our kitchen myself hundreds of the little 3" things to do

Used seperate adhesive and a dry powder grout that you mix before use a proper grout float and a decent sponge.

Rinsed the sponge out after every clean did more then one swipe but not too many Still looks bloody great after 3 years and didnt even use one of those grout finishing thingys you can get