Board logo

4 post car lift.......
franky - 20/7/15 at 01:28 PM

Howdy........

Basically I've found a nice bradbury 40 series, I'd have to get it removed, transported 70miles then put back up.

How much do you reckon this would cost? Anyone done similar?

coozer - 20/7/15 at 02:01 PM

Have you got a trailer? You can dismantle it and put it on the trailer??

Then drive home and assemble it again??

coyoteboy - 20/7/15 at 03:41 PM

I have a similar interest so I'm "subscribed" so to speak. I wonder what foundations and ground prep you need to not have it sink/tip.

franky - 20/7/15 at 04:43 PM

I've a reinforced raft foundation so I've no worries about the floor

mark chandler - 20/7/15 at 05:32 PM

I had my two post lift forked onto my trailer, the posts are very heavy the problem is moving stuff when you get it home, I ended up winching my post upright.

Cannot see it being cheap, big volume when flat on the floor.

Irony - 20/7/15 at 07:38 PM

Didn't you sell your car?

daviep - 20/7/15 at 08:04 PM

I've never worked on a 40 series but if they are similar to the mk1 and 2 then they are very simple to strip and rebuild. The power post is the most awkward/heavy part to handle the rest breaks down into sections which can be lifted by two people. The beds will be around 4m long so you need a reasonably long trailer, I've used a car transporter in the past.

My only advise would be don't buy one without a wheels free and don't be surprised if the pulley pins and bushes show a reasonable amount of wear.

EDIT: with regard to rustys comments about wheels free vs jacking beam I guess it's horses for courses. If it doesn't come with either then budget another couple of hundred for a jacking beam.

Cheers
Davie

[Edited on 20/7/15 by daviep]

rusty nuts - 20/7/15 at 08:47 PM

Have moved a couple but by no means an expert, reversed a trailer under that platform then lowered the platform onto the trailer before dismantling saved a hell of a lot of hassle . Myself I would want one with wheels free, I find a jacking beam so much easier to use. I removed the wheels free kit from a lift at work last year and fitted a spare jacking beam , the only disadvantage is being able to lift only one end at a time without using stands

dilley - 20/7/15 at 08:51 PM

Mounting bolts only keep the posts upright( after shimming) I have lifted a car with no bolts to prove a point!

coyoteboy - 20/7/15 at 09:01 PM

Earlier that day...

franky - 21/7/15 at 06:20 AM

cheers for the info, looking into all options.

franky - 21/7/15 at 04:37 PM

I've had one quote so far, of £400 inclusive to remove, deliver and rebuild with a few new bolts etc. This is for a lift 100miles away. I think thats not to bad? I've found a few really tidy bradbury 40 series lifts for £600, so £1k all in for a used(tidy) working lift. Seem about right?