Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: If square tube is stronger, why are most fancy chassis made from round?
Triton

posted on 16/5/09 at 10:31 AM Reply With Quote
Clever folk can still panel a round tube chassis..and it's a doddle to create the joins

My Daughter has taken over production of the damn fine Triton race seats and her contact email is emmatrs@live.co.uk.

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
David Jenkins

posted on 16/5/09 at 11:36 AM Reply With Quote
I found it very difficult to weld round tubing...

...that's 'round tubing' not 'around tubing' - or should it be 'around round tubing'?

I think I'm getting one of my headaches...

Badger_McLetcher

posted on 17/5/09 at 10:28 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Allanson
I have heard that the paneling adds strength - I would like to see some evidence that unstressed, flat 1.2mm ally adds anything to the dynamics of the chassis. If it was in a 3 dimensional shape, I could see their point.

If attached correctly it can act as a shear panel, much like having a diagonal cross brace.

If disfunction is a function, then I must be some kind of genius.

MikeRJ

posted on 17/5/09 at 01:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Badger_McLetcher
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Allanson
I have heard that the paneling adds strength - I would like to see some evidence that unstressed, flat 1.2mm ally adds anything to the dynamics of the chassis. If it was in a 3 dimensional shape, I could see their point.

If attached correctly it can act as a shear panel, much like having a diagonal cross brace.

Right, it's like nailing the hardboard panel to the back of a crappy chipboard wardrobe. It goes from a horrible wobbly pile of recycled sawdust to a slightly less wobbly but no less horrible pile of recycled sawdust.

mr henderson

posted on 17/5/09 at 02:03 PM Reply With Quote
And using square tube would provide a much wider bonding surface for the aluminium

John

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.