Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Galvanised Chassis
Strontium Dog

posted on 14/8/10 at 10:48 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeR
My experience was speaking to a professional powder coating company when i was looking at doing my chassis, they "confessed" that powder coat isn't really designed for outside use and they wouldn't recommend it for long term protection.

There are primarily two types of powder coat, Epoxy and Polyester. You need to use the right one for external use. Epoxy flows out better and gives a superior finish but does not like being outside in the elemrnts. Polyester is more orange peely but is more suited to external use.

Make sure your powder coater is using the right powder for your application

dinosaurjuice

posted on 14/8/10 at 01:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by interestedparty
quote:
Originally posted by dinosaurjuice
although it will cost more

Any idea how much for a chassis?

I paid £300+VAT for my MEV Rocket chassis, worth every penny.

Piccy:

will

Valtra

posted on 14/8/10 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
powder coat seems fine to me still looks good after several years, but car is not actually outside that much of the time . As said before you need good prep., and FFS don't brush paint the chassis, 9 times out of 10 it looks pants. I've seen dozens of quite high spec well built cars ruined by brush marks and once the car is built you are stuck with it unless you strip the whole car down and start again , so unless there are NO exposed bits at least spray it . Having said all that, Smootherite can be brushed quite well but it's too big a risk , 4 or 5 rattle cans could easily do a whole chassis if you don't have access to a compressor

"If it looks like it works and it feels like it works, then it works"

JF

posted on 15/8/10 at 10:32 AM Reply With Quote
Yeah but a layer of spray paint (especially rattle can) is really easely damaged. Personally I'd want a more durable finish.

I know a guy that had his BMW motorbike bedliner sprayed. Quite rough matt look, and just as durable. He had the frame, tank and panels sprayed. And it is developed for rough outdoor use in pickup trucks.

From what I've heard it ain't cheap, but to me it would be worth considering.

Neville Jones

posted on 15/8/10 at 12:01 PM Reply With Quote
After years of trying all sorts of methods. the best I've come up with is as follows:-

Degrease meticulously to a very clean condition.

Apply zinc phosphate primer, 2 coats letting fully dry in between.

Top coat of 2 pack paint, preferably a polyurethane, as it doesn't get as hard and brittle as the others.

I've tried Galvafroid, and it's fantastic, but doesn't tend to 'stick' to the base steel. If chipped it reveals a bright and shiny base, but it does tend to chip easily, independant of what's on top.

My local powder coater will not coat bare steel, he insists on zinc passivate underneath first. He says this is from past experience, and too many jobs returned 6 months on with peeling due to rust formation underneath.

Marine epoxy mastic type paints are great, after all they keep big ships rustless, but are not too user friendly, and are meant to be applied fairly thick, which tends to a poor finish.

Cheers,
Nev.

Valtra

posted on 15/8/10 at 01:26 PM Reply With Quote
Frosts catalogue has a whole range of different paints (if you must) that look suitably tough . not cheap , but as the saying goes don't spoil the ship for a hap'eth o tar.

"If it looks like it works and it feels like it works, then it works"

metallisation

posted on 22/9/10 at 03:41 PM Reply With Quote
Hi All

I work for Metallisation Ltd who are a thermal spray equipment manufacturer.

Thermal spray was mentioned above as an alternative for galvanising and much of what was said above is correct with regard to long term protection, and thermal spray not giving the same distortion problems which you may get with galvanising.

If anyone wants any advice on this process or the equipment should you wish to set up yourselves, or for companies who may be able to carry out this operation for you in your local area then please do not hesitate to contact me on the following email or phone and I will try to assist

07595 651643
iainblacklock@metallisation.com

p.s. you can also spray other metals such as copper, bronzes, brass, tin/zinc (which polishes back really well) for decorative finishes which can then be polished back and aged if necessary - just an idea for you :-)

Regs

Iain

[Edited on 22/9/10 by metallisation]

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.