Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Chassis Panels & Adhesives
Liam

posted on 2/2/12 at 05:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jacko
If you look at new buses the panels are only sika-flexed on apart from four 1/8 pop rivets in the corners
guess how i know

jacko

It's the future! Well actually the present and recent past too . I used 3M VHB tape for all my panels and bugger all rivets. Used to stick busses and trains together among other things. A couple of inches bond on 1" RHS is strong enough to support my weight. The tape's foam carrier gives a nice 'dead' thud when you tap a panel - no rattling. I put a few rivets in corners to resist peel of the panels. Certainly saves perforating your chassis with hundreds of rivet holes. A few pics of the joyously simple and satisfying process in my archive.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Benonymous

posted on 3/2/12 at 03:40 AM Reply With Quote
RK, the glassy surface you see on some composite panels comes from not only having a polished surface against the layup but also a way of compressing the layup onto the shiny surface. The most practical way to do this is vacuum bagging. On some of the parts I've made, I got a lot of pinholes in the weave so I just painted on a layer of slow curing epoxy. If you put it on nice and even, all the brush marks will flow out of the resin and leave a decent looking flat surface which can be buffed up to anice shine.
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.