Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: I think I'm turning into a republican...
gottabedone

posted on 5/6/12 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
Well guys - I'm English and proud of it

We don't get much chance to celebrate these days as it's frowned upon because it's not multicultural enough .... so break out your party food and toast the queen with a good cuppa in your coronation mug

Steve

jeffw

posted on 5/6/12 at 09:18 PM Reply With Quote
I don't know where you get your info from but it is certainly at odds with the opinion of people I know who served with him in the sweeper squadron.

scoop

posted on 5/6/12 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
As they have been born into Royalty and not got the job on any merit or application, where does it say that have have to be 'sharp tools'?
Dingz

posted on 5/6/12 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
But at least with a President or whatever we can vote for them and chuck them out after 5 years, not 60 plus! The Monarch is there by an accident of birth and not necessarily British either. Also the coronation was in june 1953 which to my maths is 59 years ago, but her dad died in feb 52 so why wasn't the jublilee either in february or even next year?

Phoned the local ramblers club today, but the bloke who answered just
went on and on.

woodster

posted on 5/6/12 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by locost47
got to laugh when people say william & harry are not the sharpest tools in the box , so true cos everyone can pass flight training & anyone could fly an apache longbow its just the same as a playstation anyone could do it jeez louise some people

Well said ...... And not forgetting Harry's tour of duty in Afghanistan ........ God bless em

dlatch

posted on 5/6/12 at 10:14 PM Reply With Quote
nowt wrong with flying the flag now and again

imo it's great for britain infact i would even suggest we needed it

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
spiderman

posted on 5/6/12 at 11:02 PM Reply With Quote
Indeed

He also made himself (and us as a nation) a laughing stock around the world by his affair when he was married

Not exactly setting a shining example on family life from a future monarch....

Whoa,
It's not like he would be the first Monarch to have had a mistress and his so called wife was no angel either, admitted on television that she had had a 5 year affair, and looking at Harry it kind of proves the point somewhat. I would not be surprised to hear that was the only one she had.

Spider

Volvorsport

posted on 6/6/12 at 12:14 AM Reply With Quote
charles is a pussycat compared to henry V111.

anyway , union jacks will have to come down now , not to upset all the others , so to speak.....

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

morcus

posted on 6/6/12 at 12:42 AM Reply With Quote
Monarchy is alot cheaper than having a republic, the cost of all this is nothing compare to the cost of extra elections and campaining and everything that goes with it. The other problem is you end up with a political head of state, the very best thing about constitutional monarchy is that our head of state is completely removed from politics.

Democracy doesn't work on merit, and true meritocracy isn't really doable, this is the best compromise and I really doubt there is anyone better suited to the Queen's job than she is. What happens after she goes is another issue. I like Prince Charles but I'm not so sure he'd be anywhere nere as good as his mother, so maybe if we could vote from the top 20 or so who we wanted to rule next...

I wish I had a job where I had weekends and bank holidays off, I spent the whole jubillee asleep or at work.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

scoop

posted on 6/6/12 at 05:05 AM Reply With Quote
You happy now David?
scootz

posted on 6/6/12 at 05:37 AM Reply With Quote
I'm far from being a royalist, but I have a great deal of respect for the way the Queen, Prince Charles and the two Princes conduct themselves. They are a credit to the country.

Charles strikes me as being a very decent man who cares for the country and the people. So what if he got a bit prickly at a photo-shoot. Who wouldn't get occasionally irritated by the media circus that surrounds his every public movement? As for his views on Nicholas Witchell... ??? Spot on Charlie! I can't stand the sycophantic arse either! Shame on the news outlets for amplifying his mutterings and broadcasting them... totally underhand (just as the Gordon Brown 'bigoted woman' and subsequent Jeremy Vine interview were underhand).

It's Evolution Baby!

whitestu

posted on 6/6/12 at 07:43 AM Reply With Quote
I would class myself as patriotic and in my opinion the Royal signify everything that is bad about this country.

If the Queen had a shred of decency she would abdicate immediately and arrange for the entire royal circus to be disbanded.

I really don't understand why people like them!

David Jenkins

posted on 6/6/12 at 09:12 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scoop
You happy now David?

Absolutely!

David Jenkins

posted on 6/6/12 at 09:22 AM Reply With Quote
One of my previous bosses used to train Apache pilots for the UK forces... he said that a significant number of trainees fail, even if they're good copter pilots in other aircraft. The problem is that the pilot has to:

Fly the aircraft
Handle information on his flight instruments
Handle information projected directly into his eyeball
Handle information coming into his ears from the computers, the radio and from his weapons man
Look out for other Apaches that may well be flying in close formation
Oh - and actually complete his mission!

I used to think that Harry was a prize pillock - he even managed to prove it occasionally - but then he passed Apache training.
His brother William flies air-sea rescue helicopters, which is also a major achievement.
Even Uncle Andrew was flying his helicopter around the stern of a burning warship in the middle of a war-zone with the risk of enemy aircraft all around.

So maybe a bit of respect?

[Edited on 6/6/12 by David Jenkins]

bonzoronnie

posted on 6/6/12 at 09:23 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
quote:
Originally posted by scoop
You happy now David?

Absolutely!

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.