Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Bloody Bureaucrats (TV Licensing... this time!)
iank

posted on 25/2/09 at 11:37 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coozer
Interesting to see peeps with no telly's. What keeps you entertained when vegetating on the couch??

One of my mates didn't have a telly after his wife left and took it with her. They knocked on his door a few times and he tld them to pi€€ off.

They came back with a copper and a warrant and when he let them in they searched the house looking in all the cupboards until it was obvious he didn't have one. When they noticed he had a radio they insisted he needed one for that. At that point the copper saw some sense and called a halt, instructing the licence bloke to get out!

Don't forget its a licence to receive radio waves so what's the score with car radio's???

You don't need a TV license to listen to the radio (the clue is in the name).

The law states
“apparatus installed or used for the purpose of receiving (whether by means of wireless telegraphy or otherwise) any television programme service, whether or not it is installed or used for any other purpose.”

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si2004/20040692.htm#9

As for vegetating on the couch, just don't waste your life like that, do something else (build a car, read a book, go for a walk etc. etc.)

[Edited on 25/2/09 by iank]

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

Rob Palin

posted on 25/2/09 at 01:06 PM Reply With Quote
Wasn't the origin of the TV licence to do with the requirement for the government to be able to disseminate information to the populace via the medium of TV? That was supposed to be the reason why the BBC has an obligation with respect to public information serices.

I strongly object not so much to the licence fee itself, although i dislike the way it is mandatory nowadays, despite the obvious proliferation of communication media available, but to the way in which the licencing thing is enforced. I've had numerous threatening letters from the licencing people despite having a valid licence and even had a hand delivered note telling me that "enforcers" would visit me and interview me under police caution as the first step of legal proceedings against me. This was their *first* communication on the matter. I pointed out their error and made a formal complaint about the tone of their letter, saying that just a simple red reminder would have sufficed. They didn't care at all and ignored my complaint entirely. @rseholes!

neilj37

posted on 25/2/09 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote
This happened with me the other week when i bought a tv from John Lewis. I have a valid license for my current address under my name but when i bought the tv the women behind the counter mispelt my name. Next thing get a letter saying that there isn't a valid license at the address. I just rang up and gave them my original license number no problems.
James

posted on 5/3/09 at 02:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coozer
Interesting to see peeps with no telly's. What keeps you entertained when vegetating on the couch??

What with kickboxing training atleast 4 days a week, a lot of DIY to do and a busy social life there isn't much time for vergetating on the sofa.
When I do there's DVD films or TV series and there's always the 'net.
Sometimes I might even find time to work on the car!

Decided to add to my original post that it's worth the licence fee just for The Archers alone!!!

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.