Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Owning a Dog
David Jenkins

posted on 24/1/13 at 10:25 AM Reply With Quote
When I rang the rescue centre I asked if they had "a short-haired, general-purpose, medium-sized mutt" - which made the woman in charge laugh!

We were lucky in that she had the ideal one - he'd just come in, wasn't settling in the kennels and she wanted to get him out and into a family ASAP. He was probably around 12 - 18 months old when we got him, and he lived to about 15 years old. Mongrels generally live much longer, and healthier, than pedigrees! Not the brightest dog in the world, but good-natured and often amusing.

I would suggest that you avoid the more intelligent working dogs - jack russells, border collies, and so on - although they can be brilliant dogs their intelligence means that they have to be kept occupied or they can get to be a nuisance. This means playing games, a chance to explore new territories (under supervision, of course), mental challenges and frequent interaction with members of the family (who are its pack).

A book that I found brilliant when I was a trainee dog owner was Think Dog by John Fisher. He explains how a dog's mind works as a pack animal, and how humans can act in a particular way to ensure that the dog is happy knowing his place. A lot of it is very surprising - for example, never let the dog sleep on your bed - he's making a claim to be top dog, putting you at a lower ranking. He gives many other examples.

jeffw

posted on 24/1/13 at 01:43 PM Reply With Quote

Our Tibetan Terrier as a puppy

[Edited on 25/1/13 by jeffw]

Staple balls

posted on 24/1/13 at 02:23 PM Reply With Quote
We've got 2 mutts at the moment, both bitches, one old king Charles cav, one inbred collie who's about 3.

The cav is a nice enough dog, but a little snatchy for treats, also she's dull and thick as anything, prone to accidents despite proper training, also hates walking, nice old people dog, but crap for an active young family.

The collie (rescued as a pup, but neglected for a while, rescued again by us at about 18 mo old) and she's a great dog, she's still a bit hyper but is calming nicely, I wouldn't really trust her around babies as she's just a bit clumsy, but utterly harmless, she'll let you stick your hand in her gob and take treats off her, utterly devoted, very obedient and an all round good job, took less than a week to house train her (after being an outside dog forever) only problem is the energy, she'll happily run all day, I ended up getting a harness for her and just take her on bike rides rather than trying to walk her.

If I was gonna get another pooch I'd go with either gsd or lab cross collie, just to try to take a little of the hyper away.

Norfolkluegojnr

posted on 24/1/13 at 02:25 PM Reply With Quote
Lovely looking dog!

Whats a GSD?

Staple balls

posted on 24/1/13 at 02:28 PM Reply With Quote
German Shepard dog
Norfolkluegojnr

posted on 24/1/13 at 02:37 PM Reply With Quote
Ah. so obvious once you know.
snakebelly

posted on 24/1/13 at 02:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by plentywahalla
One more point, i would be careful of the comment that pedigree dogs are somehow 'better'.

This is a complete fraud perpetuated by the breeding / showing fraternity which seeks to maximise the profits that can be made by dveloping fashion breeds. Inbreeding is illegal in humans and yet is is encouraged in pet animals, why?

The breed standards adopted by the kennel club applaud various characteristics in the breed, and breeders mate animals with prominent features to accentuate them. The example given of someone who shows Rhodesian Ridgebacks is a good example. The characteristic ridge is actually a spinal deformation. It is degenerative and if overdeveloped can lead to a dog being crippled and unable to stand. Every breed has some kind of problem, with some such as king charles spaniels, basset hounds and pekingese being too horrible to mention.

We have always had cross breeds, and cross bred from breeds that are normally proportioned and healthy. Always see the mother and father and avoid breeders who advertise that their dogs are 'champion this' or 'champion that'

I have probably opened a can of worms!

Yep totally agree, hence our choice of boxer lab cross and Alsatian lab cross, the Alsatian lab cross died last year from pancreatic cancer aged 14 having had nothing more serious than a " hurts paw" before then. The boxer lab cross is now knocking on 16 and although a bit creaky in the mornings still has the odd mad moment hailing around, again nothing that involved vets to any large extent.
I'm not one for government regulation but woul be more than happy to see all dog breaders regulated as I can't see them being able to do it themselves.

stevebubs

posted on 24/1/13 at 04:19 PM Reply With Quote
Whilst certain breeds certainly have different tendencies, nurture is all important at a young age.

When we got our dog (Border Collie, Spring Spaniel Cross), my sister in law also got a dog from the same litter about 10 years ago (my daughter was about 3 at the time).

From the outset, our dog was treated well but put into place as soon as he overstepped the mark. No problems integrating him in the family with the incumbant cat or our daughter. He's a lovely softy who will defend the house and kids quite happily. The cat quite often comes up to him for a fuss; she often walks away with a head like a drowned rat ...

Out sledging last week, he loved chasing the sledges and making sure the kids were OK. when we are out for a walk, you can see him trying to round up our 5 year old.

Her dog wasn't given the same level of attention early on and was quite "nippy" as a result. To the point where she didn't trust it with her kids. A bit of training and he would have been fine; I would have had him like a shot but didn't have the space. He ended up being rehomed; as did her next 3 dogs....

At the end of the day, you've got to be prepared to invest in the pet. He/She's going to need walks and attention. Lots of it. Are you at a position where you want to share your time with a dog as well as your kids? They needn't be mutually exclusive...our 5 year old has played rough and tumble with Sam the dog since he's able to walk and the dog takes everything the boy throws at him. If and when he's had enough of playing, the dog comes to find us.

If you're willing to invest the time and effort, go for it; but it's for the long haul.

Peteff

posted on 24/1/13 at 05:51 PM Reply With Quote
This thread with it's bit about cross breeds (mongrels) has reminded me of my daughter's dog Toby who died last year aged 15. He was a cross between an Alsatian father and Terrier mother (some people call them Jack Russell but they are a breed to themselves Parson Jack Russell, not the stubby legged Terriers you associate with the name) He was perfectly marked for an Alsatian and looked like he had his legs sawn off half way, he was a brilliant dog played with kids and liked a walk and never had any problems. We had a couple of Fox Terriers, a wire haired dog who was a complete schizophrenic and later a smooth coated bitch who was a lovely dog but wanted to work, hunting is in their genes. Wire haired don't cast and have to be trimmed so you can control where the hair goes which is a big thing if you are house proud.
Proper Jack Russells look like a Fox Terrier with a short nose.

[Edited on 24/1/13 by Peteff]

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Agriv8

posted on 24/1/13 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stevebubs
Whilst certain breeds certainly have different tendencies, nurture is all important at a young age.

When we got our dog (Border Collie, Spring Spaniel Cross), my sister in law also got a dog from the same litter about 10 years ago (my daughter was about 3 at the time).

From the outset, our dog was treated well but put into place as soon as he overstepped the mark. No problems integrating him in the family with the incumbant cat or our daughter. He's a lovely softy who will defend the house and kids quite happily. The cat quite often comes up to him for a fuss; she often walks away with a head like a drowned rat ...

Out sledging last week, he loved chasing the sledges and making sure the kids were OK. when we are out for a walk, you can see him trying to round up our 5 year old.

Her dog wasn't given the same level of attention early on and was quite "nippy" as a result. To the point where she didn't trust it with her kids. A bit of training and he would have been fine; I would have had him like a shot but didn't have the space. He ended up being rehomed; as did her next 3 dogs....

At the end of the day, you've got to be prepared to invest in the pet. He/She's going to need walks and attention. Lots of it. Are you at a position where you want to share your time with a dog as well as your kids? They needn't be mutually exclusive...our 5 year old has played rough and tumble with Sam the dog since he's able to walk and the dog takes everything the boy throws at him. If and when he's had enough of playing, the dog comes to find us.

If you're willing to invest the time and effort, go for it; but it's for the long haul.

Steve Well Put.
and
My father has trained gun dogs and home dogs for himself as long as I can remeber. best dog he ever trained was a lab that had been left to run free in a home with young kids. It was one incident from going to be re homed ( or shot !) over a seaon beating ( Pheasant rather than a big stick ) Dog Worked and traind on a 20 ft Peice of rope. Within 3 seaons she had turned into one of the best dogsmy dad ever trained. Dad gave the owners a simple rule book about feeding & disaplin and all was happy ever after. The only trate he could not get rid of was the fact she would always find the biggest peat bog she could and turn her self into a bog monster !

The only time I saw my dad beat any dog was when it chased sheep .

The wife and I would love a dog but will not until the kids grow up ( currently 5 & 2 ) and we have the time to invest in it.
but it will also be trained by my Dad ( and Dad will ALWAYS be Boss ) and we will be going to dog classed ( for us not the dog ! )

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

ashg

posted on 25/1/13 at 01:40 AM Reply With Quote
this is my Jack Russell. she is a ruff cut but we have her trimmed on a regular basis to keep the hair down, they moult all year round. if you dont want to deal with hair get anything with an ounce of poodle in it.

most Jack Russels are nuts unless you are very strict when they are young, i persisted and made sure she knew i was the alpha dog from day one. she is nine now and is the most placid laid back dog in the world

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

ashg

posted on 25/1/13 at 01:57 AM Reply With Quote
this is my brothers dog he is half sharpei and half staff. hes bigger than a german shepherd and easily twice as strong. to say he is a handfull is an understatement bull in a china shop comes to mind, the biggest problem with him is that he is big but thinks he is a little dog. they also have a 6 month old boy and the dog is good as gold with him as he was taught from day one to be gentle around the baby.

number 1 tip! no means no! they have to understand it and you have to strictly enforce it until they learn. when they are pups if you say no and they ignore it put them in their bed. every time they get out of the bed pick them up and put them back even if you do it 50 times in an evening. once you master that your on the way to a well behaved dog.

[Edited on 25/1/2013 by ashg]

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

Nickp

posted on 25/1/13 at 06:52 AM Reply With Quote
Wouldn't / couldn't be without a dog. Always gone for 1st crosses - Labrador x greyhound, labrador x bloodhound and currently (the best yet, dare I say it?) a GW Pointer x Hungarian Vizla. They're unusual, interesting and a lot lot cheaper than pedigrees. The latest costing £200 instead of nearer £1k for a pedigree Vizla!!

He doed need a LOT of exercise but that means that you also get a LOT of exercise. It's a win-win situation as long as you can make the time

He does like too chill aswell though-

And entertains us too-

Norfolkluegojnr

posted on 25/1/13 at 08:44 AM Reply With Quote
Howdy partner!
bi22le

posted on 25/1/13 at 08:52 AM Reply With Quote
I dont have a dog, and unfortunatly not in the right place in our lives to get one but I just keep viewing this thread to look at all your dog pics!

I really want a dog now.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

stevebubs

posted on 25/1/13 at 10:02 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ashg
this is my Jack Russell. she is a ruff cut but we have her trimmed on a regular basis to keep the hair down, they moult all year round. if you dont want to deal with hair get anything with an ounce of poodle in it.

Labradoodles aren't bad - my father has one and she doesn't shed much at all.

maccmike

posted on 25/1/13 at 10:32 AM Reply With Quote
visit a dogs home, pick the one you like. they need the homes the most
stevebubs

posted on 25/1/13 at 10:41 AM Reply With Quote
PS On the insurance side, check to make sure you get a "lifetime" style insurance not "annual"

One will pay for a problem through the entirety of the dog's life, the other will only pay for the first 12 months...

MsD

posted on 26/1/13 at 06:31 PM Reply With Quote
Heres ours the first night we got her.... To cute for her own good! We've had her nearly a year now and as said before be strict as a puppy! 3 out of the 4 of us have been- she knows who is the easy one to manipulate in the family!

Its true what they say about Collies, you need to give them plenty of exercise!
Walk her for hours and as soon as we get back in theres a ball dropped at our feet!

Mark.

jonabonospen

posted on 14/2/13 at 06:50 PM Reply With Quote
We got our first ever dog in June of last year. Was pretty apprehensive before getting her and went through the process of asking ourselves the same questions you are now facing (although our daughter was 14 at the time). We went for a bitch cross from a rescue. We knew we didn't have the 24/7 time for a puppy and thought that a matured (not a puppy) that had already been house trained would be a better option.

We searched loads of rescue centre website and eventually found what looked to be the right dog for us. She is called Sasha and is / was at the time, an 18 month old English Bull Terrier cross....... cross with everything I think. She was being fostered by a family in Cardiff which is a long way away from us in Leeds / Wakefield, but I was prepared to travel for the right dog. She is medium in size so not too big for the girls to handle, short haired so not too much hard work brushing every day, and is great around kids and small furries. We knew this as she was fostered with a family who had free roaming rabbits in the garden, cats in the house, another dog, and young daughter. She was rescued from the pound with no real knowledge of her history but she was assessed by the rescue centre and very well described on their forum.

She has been an absolute star. She has the best temprament ever. She is great with both males and females, young and old, and with our rabbits (she even shepherds them round the garden to keep an eye on them and helps lick them clean). SHe is also fantastic with our daughter, and all the nephews and nieces that we have round on occasion, and at some points there has been maybe 7 or 8 of them at once, ranging in age from a few months to 15 years old, pushing and pulling and grabbing and stroking, and poking her, and she just stood there and didn't bat an eyelid at them.

So I definitely wouldn't discount a rescue dog. Just like all dogs and like people, they are all different. One lab is not the same as the next. One Staffie is not the same as the next. One terrier is not the same as the next. One LCB'er is not the same as the next. They all have their own personality and thats what makes them special.

We pay about £20 a month for insurance. The food is maybe £30 a month (£20 food and £10 treat food). Toys say £10 a month. Flea treatment, worming, etc costs probably another £5 a month say And we 'donated' £200 to the rescue for Sasha herself and she came fully vaccinated and neutered / spayed.

We have loved having her. Had her for about 8-9 months now. Yes she can be hard work at times when you have a lot on your plate and you know she needs walking and some attention and play time. But she can also be such a wonderful companion and so funny at times. She is always happy to see me when I get in the door and you know that she loves you. Its great.

MAC#1 ZX10R WORX BUILD BLOG: http://mac1-zx10r-worx-build-blog.tumblr.com/

MY PERSONAL BLOG: http://jonabonospen.tumblr.com/

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
CRAIGR
Contributor

Posts 2760
Registered 30/8/05
Location Sussex

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Built v8 striker/blade fury/ R1 westy,now zetec we

posted on 14/2/13 at 07:16 PM Reply With Quote
We decided to get another dog when my daughter was 6 as she was dog mad. I was adamant i wanted another border collie but the wife wanted a spaniel so to keep the peace thats what we got.
Well she is the happiest most adorable and loving dog you'd ever want to meet and great with kids of all ages.
Anyway a couple of pics

Ninehigh

posted on 14/2/13 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ashg

most Jack Russels are nuts unless you are very strict when they are young, i persisted and made sure she knew i was the alpha dog from day one. she is nine now and is the most placid laid back dog in the world

We had one when I was about 7 ish, she ended up being that well trained you couldn't walk her on a lead. She'd even take herself out, sniff around and come back 10 mins later. One time my brothers and I took her to the local park, she got bored of being there so went home without us!

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.