Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: MOTs...
GO

posted on 19/1/04 at 01:18 PM Reply With Quote
MOTs...

Apologies in advance for the slightly more mundane post that the current vein of the threads in here at the mo!

Anyone know what the MOT rule is re the handbrake?

On my main car, the handbrake cable has stretched on offside leading to little or no effect on that side. However, it still holds the car quite happily on a significant slope.

The long and short of it is that road tax is about to expire, and I don't have time to fix the problem before the only mot slot I could get. So, need to decide whether I should SORN it now just to make sure I dont get stung!!

Cheers guys.

David Jenkins

posted on 19/1/04 at 01:20 PM Reply With Quote
Most MOT stations will test the handbrake on rollers, so they'll know immediately if one side is sick.

DJ

GO

posted on 19/1/04 at 01:30 PM Reply With Quote
bummer.

do you know what values they use to compare against?

ChrisW

posted on 19/1/04 at 02:40 PM Reply With Quote
I'm sure I read the handbrake had to pull 0.25G deceleration to pass MOT. Might have made that up tho

Chris

My gaff my rules

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
GO

posted on 19/1/04 at 02:44 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys,

I guess I'll SORN it, and chance the MOT, may get through, you never know. At least I'm not risking an uneccesary £80!

andyps

posted on 19/1/04 at 11:28 PM Reply With Quote
The total retardation effort is related to the weight of the car to determine whether the handbrake passes I think - but it has to be effective on both wheels.

My MOT guy had to get out his calculator to see if he could pass our mini on it's handbrake once it was that ineffective - had it been any heavier it would have failed.

Andy

An expert is someone who knows more and more about less and less

Peteff

posted on 20/1/04 at 10:13 AM Reply With Quote
I'm sure the effort has to be equal to both sides for the test. It has to be something like 13% of the total braking effort.

yours, Pete.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

David Jenkins

posted on 20/1/04 at 10:54 AM Reply With Quote
Generally the MOT test isn't like the SVA braking test - all they do is put the back wheels on a driven roller and heave on the handbrake lever. The tester watches a pair of dials, and if the needle goes past a given reading on both sides then it's a pass.

David

DARRYL

posted on 20/1/04 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
I n dual brake system, it has to achieve 16% performance. It must have a pretty crap handbrake, not to make this!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.