Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Eh? Downforce? What's that?
James

posted on 27/3/09 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
Eh? Downforce? What's that?

You know, if I earned £80-100k a year designing aero-dynamics and my race cars came in nearly last at 2nd practice because I'd apparently forgotten the existence of downforce, I might wonder if the credit crunch was suddenly going to bite rather hard!!!

Fortunately, of all the teams, I think this one is most able to sort it out most quickly.

But I might still worry about my long term future!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

Mark G

posted on 27/3/09 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
I think Mclaren are just playing mind games. They'll be in the top 3 tomorrow.
speedyxjs

posted on 27/3/09 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
Practice times mean nothing. Some go for fastest time and others got for improving setup.
James

posted on 27/3/09 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mark G
I think Mclaren are just playing mind games. They'll be in the top 3 tomorrow.

That wouldn't be a well know tactic would it!!!

Why on earth would they bother?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

MikeR

posted on 27/3/09 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
perhaps they where looking how fast the car would go with a full tank of fuel?

perhaps they've figured they'd get more sponsor inches if they where last in practice and first in qualifying.

why does fergie and benitez etc all say things about each others teams ????

peteday_uk@btinternet.com

posted on 27/3/09 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
I have been talking to a customer who works for BrawnGP, he reckons that there are some teams that are struggling with their aero package. Basically he was saying that there are two teams (them being one) that have interpreted the rules differently and have given them a competitive advantage. In the first practice the other teams have made formal complaints against their design. Yesterday they were declared legal to race pending enquiries into the design.

He thinks that they have a good chance of Jenson being on pole (not sure myself).

I think that this is going to be a very good season.

Surrey Dave

posted on 27/3/09 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
Eh?

It would be better to have a pre season inspection to clarify the designs.

I think the problem with retro fitting the Brawn,Toyota,Williams type diffuser to the other cars on the grid is that it requires an extensive re-design to get the suspension out of the way?

Or they surely would have copied it already.

So the majority are hoping to get the design. banned , as it is probably simpler /cheaper for Brawn etc to reduce their diffuser design.

I hope the diffuser 3 are judged legal and and get credit for coming up with best solution with the technical regs.

And the rest can stop bleating and get their a**rses in gear and copy it.

AR-CoolC

posted on 27/3/09 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
I think that this is going to be a very good season.

I really hope so.

Imagine what it would be like if there were no hypothetical situations.

MikeR

posted on 27/3/09 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
I hope so too ....

feel sorry for Red Bull - they've gone for a pull rod rear suspension. If the brawn suspension is allowed they're stuffed. To use it they'll have to remake the whole rear suspension package as well as aero!

James

posted on 27/3/09 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Surrey Dave
It would be better to have a pre season inspection to clarify the designs.

I think the problem with retro fitting the Brawn,Toyota,Williams type diffuser to the other cars on the grid is that it requires an extensive re-design to get the suspension out of the way?

Or they surely would have copied it already.

So the majority are hoping to get the design. banned , as it is probably simpler /cheaper for Brawn etc to reduce their diffuser design.

I hope the diffuser 3 are judged legal and and get credit for coming up with best solution with the technical regs.

And the rest can stop bleating and get their a**rses in gear and copy it.

Man! You're well behind the times! They were deemed legal this morning.

The interesting thing is if you notice which teams made the official complaint... only 3 of them plus one who was too late to submit the paperwork.

There are other teams who have a rear design such that they can 'plug in' a different diffuser that matches the controversial design. They let others test the water legally and only add their bit at the last minute.
I believe Mclaren are one of these as (according to the 1st practice commentary) several of the team were seen carrying a "huge box" out of one of the lorries. There was some banter about it being a different diffuser.

Still ain't gonna get 'em up into the top four though!!!

They'll all have it by next race though I bet!

James

posted on 27/3/09 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeR
I hope so too ....

feel sorry for Red Bull - they've gone for a pull rod rear suspension. If the brawn suspension is allowed they're stuffed. To use it they'll have to remake the whole rear suspension package as well as aero!

And without any mid-season testing they've got no chance with that.

Even wind tunnel testing hours are restricted this year.

James

posted on 28/3/09 at 02:08 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hicost
See how crap they are when they don't have ferrari blueprints to copy from

Did alright last year I reckon!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.