Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: how much is our pinto worth?
FASTdan

posted on 4/12/09 at 07:03 PM Reply With Quote
how much is our pinto worth?

We're upgrading to a duratec and therefore our old 2.0 pinto is redundant.

Given that it can be heard running and driven, it made 110bhp@ rear wheels on dellorto 40's and is an excellent performer. Its the later injection engine (205 block), had 100k on the clock of the sierra, was honed and valves reground, new gaskets seals and cam belt and has covered approx 2k since then. Has a shortened sump also.

What sort of cash does something like that normally go for? It would have the starter, alternator, dizzy and leads.

Can be sold with or without the carbs - what are they worth, £200 on the manifold? Jetted by Bogg Bros for the 2.0 running 35mm chokes.

[Edited on 4/12/09 by FASTdan]

NEW danST WEBSITE NOW LIVE! Bike carbs, throttle bodies and more......

http://www.danstengineering.co.uk/

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
tomgregory2000

posted on 4/12/09 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
I would have thought £50-£100 for the engine and £150 tops for the carbs and manifold
cryoman1965

posted on 4/12/09 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
£30-40 for the shortened sump.
mr henderson

posted on 4/12/09 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
What about the exhaust manifold, are you including that? If you are, I would ask £450 for the lot, especially seeing as it is running and demonstratable, if might well appear to a builder who is starting with an 1800 Sierra

FASTdan

posted on 5/12/09 at 08:26 AM Reply With Quote
no not including the manifold unfortunately as I intend on re-using it on the duratec.
NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
snapper

posted on 5/12/09 at 09:27 AM Reply With Quote
If its just a bare engine, 2.0L, no carbs but a good runner, probably £150 perhaps a little more with some history and reciepts.
A 2.1 with the right rods, pistons, new bearings, injection head would be worth £4 to 500 as you can get a 2.1 bottom end built for a little more.
My current Pinto build is leaning on £1500 but as i build things slowly over long periods of time I don't feel the pain so keanly.
The more you have with the engine, so it can be dropped straight in, the better the price.

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

lotusmadandy

posted on 5/12/09 at 11:05 AM Reply With Quote
I sold my 205 pinto,complete with inlet and exhaust manifolds,silencer and full ignition system for 300 quid.then a week later my mate sold his for £350.
This was only two months ago and they seem to sell very well,so i would be looking for around that price.

Andy

coozer

posted on 5/12/09 at 11:22 AM Reply With Quote
I know a Ford man who paid a £1000 for one for his RS2000. He said they are getting hard to come by these days and the prices are going up...

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

scootz

posted on 5/12/09 at 11:35 AM Reply With Quote
I got £400 for mine (comparable) a couple of months ago if that helps...

It's Evolution Baby!

mr henderson

posted on 5/12/09 at 12:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by FASTdan
no not including the manifold unfortunately as I intend on re-using it on the duratec.

Might be worth reconsidering that, depending on what the manifold is worth to you and what it would cost to replace.

Assuming the manifold was not too expensive, you would have the option of marketing the whole package as a ready-to-go, plug and play package, at a decent price.

As you start subtracting items from the package, you reduce its value, I realise that that is obvious, but a complete kit can have extra value - beyond the sum of its parts, simply because it is complete and doesn't give the customer the problem of sourcing an essential item.

The above idea is how a lot of kit car manufacturers make extra profit, by selling packages of other parts so that the builder knows that he has got (hopefully in some cases) all the parts he needs and doesn't have to spend time trying to find the other bits.

I know it doesn't really matter one way or the other in this particular case, I just mention it here because others might findthe idea interesting (even if they don't agree with it, or even find it ridiculous )

snapper

posted on 5/12/09 at 02:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

I know a Ford man who paid a £1000 for one for his RS2000. He said they are getting hard to come by these days and the prices are going up...

Thats OK then, I have 3, 2x2.1's and a standard

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

FASTdan

posted on 5/12/09 at 02:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mr henderson
quote:
Originally posted by FASTdan

Might be worth reconsidering that, depending on what the manifold is worth to you and what it would cost to replace.

Assuming the manifold was not too expensive, you would have the option of marketing the whole package as a ready-to-go, plug and play package, at a decent price.

As you start subtracting items from the package, you reduce its value, I realise that that is obvious, but a complete kit can have extra value - beyond the sum of its parts, simply because it is complete and doesn't give the customer the problem of sourcing an essential item.

The above idea is how a lot of kit car manufacturers make extra profit, by selling packages of other parts so that the builder knows that he has got (hopefully in some cases) all the parts he needs and doesn't have to spend time trying to find the other bits.

I know it doesn't really matter one way or the other in this particular case, I just mention it here because others might findthe idea interesting (even if they don't agree with it, or even find it ridiculous )

Yeah fair point that. I really like our manifold though lol its the MK one and I find it much more unique than most - although obviously I could just buy another (not sure if they doing duratec yet). I seem to recall their manifolds are £200+ though.

I was expecting around £400 complete with carbs etc so it sounds like we wont be too disappointed.
Need the funds for that £500 hit needed to connect the new engine to the old box

NEW danST WEBSITE NOW LIVE! Bike carbs, throttle bodies and more......

http://www.danstengineering.co.uk/

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.