Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: S13 CA18DET turbo runs very rich
RK

posted on 6/12/09 at 04:27 PM Reply With Quote
S13 CA18DET turbo runs very rich

It also won't start consistently, and sputters many many times before it does - if it does at all. I think the larger exhaust and cold air intake is screwing up the computer.

This is a JDM spec engine, that is way too complicated for my little tiny brain. I know that most of your engines are either not sold over here, or we can't find transmissions for them (we never had the Sierra, but there are very rare XR4t's around). 3 series BMW's are all over the place, but this is a digression...

I have come to the conclusion that this Nissan engine won't work for me, because it will involve ECU remapping or replacing, which I can't do, and am not interested in doing (this rules out Mega"COMPLICATED" and the like). It isn't drivable at the moment (the engine, not the car).
In fact, I don't want fuel injection or turbo at all. I don't require 200 HP. I just want a simple little English car that I can zoom around in. BEC's are an option.

Zetec has no transmissions for us here in Canada: ditto Duratec. I have MX5 diff, hubs, and brakes. I know you don't live here so I am perhaps wasting everyone's time, but I am open to suggestions!!

mr henderson

posted on 6/12/09 at 04:34 PM Reply With Quote
Are you absolutely sure all your sensors are working properly? Maybe the ecu is receiving the wrong information.

boggle

posted on 6/12/09 at 04:43 PM Reply With Quote
sounds like a maf issue or temp sender....
PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

theconrodkid

posted on 6/12/09 at 04:51 PM Reply With Quote
sounds like water temp sensor (usual suspect),try up-plugging when the engine is running,it should run the same if sensor is duff,if it runs worse it could be air temp or maf

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

MakeEverything

posted on 6/12/09 at 07:49 PM Reply With Quote
Why dont you install a simple old 4cylinder carb engine and transmission? - There must be something over there that you can use. Failing that, id let you have the spare crossflow engine that i have if you had it shipped, but it might cost you a bit to do it, and its in bits with a few bits missing which might prove problematic over there.

How about getting a type 9 transmission shipped over? Can you get the Zetec?

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

Davey D

posted on 6/12/09 at 07:53 PM Reply With Quote
dont you have mazda mx5 / miata in canada?
RK

posted on 6/12/09 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
First off, thanks for the replies! I'll see if I can get someone over at Christmas to look at it. The last time it wouldn't start after a long period, it was a loose earth wire (that I couldn't find). That's not the case this time.

Second, yes we can get Mx5's, but they're fuel injected aren't they? They are very costly too. Canada is not the US. I think it is the only real choice though.

The Zetec, Crossflow etc appeals greatly, and if I lived on your continent, I'd have done that, but here the transmission thing is too hard to do, and involves lots of adaptor plates and stuff I can't cope with. I would love something that A) I can identify all the parts and has less wires B) there is room for my fingers to adjust things AND I can occasionally take to an English car mechanic who can help me during those difficult problems. These people still exist here. I don't even have room to put exhaust wrap on or heat shielding. It's just to tight in there. If I could get parts later on, I'd have a Pinto or something shipped from there, but I don't know if that's the case.

I have read all the stuff on Nico, done countless searches, have the engine manual from Nissan (available as a download in pdf) etc, but it all gives me a headache. JDM engines are not the same as the Nissan 80's engines people in NA had, or even you had.

In my total idiocy, I thought a Japanese engine would be reliable, good on fuel consumption and not need as much fiddling as the old leaky engines of the past. I was certainly wrong!! I was basing all this on the only Japanese car I've ever had: Honda's. That tells you everything.

RK

posted on 6/12/09 at 10:42 PM Reply With Quote
You know, you can learn things even at 50. For example, I learned that there is a big difference between the temperature sensor and the temperature sender. Now I have a functioning water temp gauge, and the car starts. Sort of, after a while, but those are details.

I still want another engine.

dlatch

posted on 6/12/09 at 11:44 PM Reply With Quote
duratec bolts upto the later mx5 rwd gearbox's

so thats a option maybe?

no small block V8 laying round then?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
RK

posted on 7/12/09 at 12:30 AM Reply With Quote
Those are good ideas. I especially like the idea of the chev. My cousin has a 69 Camaro that makes 500 HP. Yes, it does and yes, it sounds good. I don't know what her gas milage is though...
Volvorsport

posted on 7/12/09 at 12:54 AM Reply With Quote
lots of volvos over there , specifically designed for LHD .

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

RK

posted on 7/12/09 at 01:26 AM Reply With Quote
but none of them came with manual trannies. Manual transmissions and rwd are not common in North America.
ss1turbo

posted on 10/12/09 at 11:20 PM Reply With Quote
No BMWs or Mercedes Benz's lying around? Not all of them had autoboxes, surely? As for the old Sierras - did the Merkur not make it to Canada? For a basic engine/tranny, what about something like a small pickup (2WD)? I'm thinking the old B2000 here which seems to be found everywhere..

Long live RWD...

nz_climber

posted on 10/12/09 at 11:43 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds like you want the problem fixed without spending money...

Another engine will only cost you more in long run by the time you get engine mounts, transmission etc. I would say stick to what you have got, double and triple check all the wiring and sensors.

If you dont want a turbo, then take it off, and get a piggyback ecu or a CA18DE ecu to run it in NA form.

Not all ecus are complicated, there are ecus for Nissans that will plug straight into a factory wiring loom. I suggest taking it to someone who knows the engine well and get it going right then you will never look back!

http://aarons7.wordpress.com

RK

posted on 11/12/09 at 12:52 AM Reply With Quote
I'm following your advice. A guy is coming over around Christmastime to have a look. I'll see what he says.

As for the other options, I'd back to a non standard engine in a car nobody around here knows. That's been the problem so far. BTW, Merkur xr4t's are very uncommon, and yes, ALL the Mercedes (which are all tanks anyways - very very few C series small ones) and 99% of the BMW's are automatics. Also, any older car is rusted to hell due to the winters. It's a different world here, believe me. The Mazda B2000 is a definite possibility though. Good suggestion!!

I truly believe it's just easier and cheaper to import a transmission to go with a Duratec or Zetec if I ever become brain damaged enough to do this again.

[Edited on 11/12/09 by RK]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.