Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Grouting Problem
John P

posted on 17/2/10 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
Grouting Problem

A few months ago I tiled a bathroom using Unibond All Purpose Tile Adhesive and Grout.

When the grout dried (there is a 3mm grout width) a line formed along the centre of the grout which appeaed to be the grout shrinking back.

I spoke to Unibond who said this wasn't a problem in that the tiling would still be fine but suggested if I was concerned cosmetically then I could simply rub some more grout into the marks which I did.

They said the cause was probably that the sponge I was using to wipe off the excess grout was too wet.

I've just done another tiling job for a neighbour and despite using an almost completely dry sponge have exactly the same problem which they don't like because they are concerned it's a crack.

Any ideas how to avoid this in the future.

John.

eznfrank

posted on 17/2/10 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
Sponge moistness is a key factor, too dry and it will drag it out, too wet and it will dilute it down.

My old man is a tiler of 30+ years and I used to spend my summer holidays as a young lad grouting for him. He always used to say just do one single sweep with a sponge, flip it over do another swipe and then rinse it out. When you wring it out just make it so that it stops dripping but still quite moist

mark.s

posted on 17/2/10 at 07:53 PM Reply With Quote
The all in ones (fix and grout) always shrink john

Try using a tile adhesive and seperate grout ....you wont go wrong with BAL

good luck

stonefish1

posted on 17/2/10 at 07:55 PM Reply With Quote
as above.. spot on... and allways us a good quality sponge no 99p sponges that fall to bits in your grout...
Peteff

posted on 17/2/10 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
I run over with a piece of dowel with a taper on the end after it has dried for a while. Lean it over well so it doesn't dig in, like a pointing tool for mortar but not as heavy.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

whitestu

posted on 17/2/10 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
Get some normal dry powder grout that you mix up before use. It's miles easier to use than the adhesive / grout.

Stu

macc man

posted on 17/2/10 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
Hi, I fit bathrooms for a living and always use separate adhesive & grout. Bal products are best, but a good sponge helps. Using a plastic spatula to run over joints makes for an even depth. Make sure sponge is not too wet. Best of luck.

MikeRJ

posted on 18/2/10 at 12:34 PM Reply With Quote
Never had much luck with grouting with a sponge; all the tiling I've done I've used a plastic spreader (like you get with car body filler) to force the grout into the gaps bewteen the tiles and used a bit of dowel like Pete suggests. Not the fastest solution I'm sure, but looks fine afterwards.
woodster

posted on 18/2/10 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mark.s
The all in ones (fix and grout) always shrink john

Try using a tile adhesive and seperate grout ....you wont go wrong with BAL

good luck

i agree ...... the tile adhesive shrinks back a little to help in the bonding ....

Vindi_andy

posted on 18/2/10 at 02:23 PM Reply With Quote
Did our kitchen myself hundreds of the little 3" things to do

Used seperate adhesive and a dry powder grout that you mix before use a proper grout float and a decent sponge.

Rinsed the sponge out after every clean did more then one swipe but not too many Still looks bloody great after 3 years and didnt even use one of those grout finishing thingys you can get

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.