Author: Subject: Kodak, who next ?
Jon Ison

posted on 19/1/12 at 10:28 PM Reply With Quote
Kodak, who next ?

Expected, unexpected ?
Ninehigh

posted on 19/1/12 at 10:32 PM Reply With Quote
Hah, if that's the case next will be Hoover, Macdonalds and Telly

(Kodak are filing for bankruptcy, in case other people aren't glued to news24 atm )

slingshot2000

posted on 19/1/12 at 10:35 PM Reply With Quote
This was being muted 2 weeks ago, why does it take the national news so long to catch up ?
ReMan

posted on 19/1/12 at 10:46 PM Reply With Quote
Listeneing to R4, another that thought they wrer to big to fail and that new technology would not catch on

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

JoelP

posted on 19/1/12 at 10:50 PM Reply With Quote
Funny hoover gets mentioned - apparently its just a brand name now, owned by candy i found out cos mine broke after 8 months

bi22le

posted on 19/1/12 at 10:50 PM Reply With Quote
OMG really?

That really shows that sometimes your name does not sell your products. They do actually have to offer a USP.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

bi22le

posted on 19/1/12 at 10:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ninehigh

(Kodak are filing for bankruptcy, in case other people aren't glued to news24 atm )

Telly?

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

Ninehigh

posted on 19/1/12 at 11:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bi22le
quote:

Telly?

Yeah the entire medium of TV... I've been up since about 4am so my mind's playing funny buggers... I was trying to think of a big brand in that field

Oh and if you want a "this technology will never catch on" go read up Xerox PARC

designer

posted on 19/1/12 at 11:36 PM Reply With Quote
They should have changed with the times!

A high street 'name' will go soon.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Ninehigh

posted on 19/1/12 at 11:40 PM Reply With Quote
I heard La Senza went under, which surprised its previous owner Theo Pathetis? Whoever it was he said they posted a profit in 2010...

Simon

posted on 20/1/12 at 01:05 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jon Ison
Expected, unexpected ?

Greece, Italy, Spain, the entire Euro area. Take your pick!

ATB

Simon

stevebubs

posted on 20/1/12 at 01:36 AM Reply With Quote
Kodak?

Since the explosion of the digital camera - totally expected. Surprised it has taken this long, TBH...

stevebubs

posted on 20/1/12 at 01:39 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
I heard La Senza went under, which surprised its previous owner Theo Pathetis? Whoever it was he said they posted a profit in 2010...

I saw that, too...makes you wonder whether they couldn't afford the finance / overstretched their debt based on returns...

Bit like the Glazer Family's leveraged purchase of Man Utd...that's come close to the brink a few times IIRC

[Edited on 20/1/12 by stevebubs]

orton1966

posted on 20/1/12 at 06:48 AM Reply With Quote
Who Knows

When times were good a lot of big companies sold there assets (property) and leased them back (probably paid share dividends or chairman’s bonus with the proceeds), trouble is once your assets are gone it’s harder to borrow and rent/leases go up. This is what did for a big care-homes company a few months ago. It’s also happened with some high street names.

Kodak is a simple one, clung to film in as the world turned digital, realised late panicked and jumped on colour printing as the world started to love the Ipad (and similar) to view images.

As for who next:

What about Nokia – Missed every phone development, clamshells, smartphones etc. Remember they used to be the market leader by a mile!

A big laptop company- The move to netbooks and tablets has washed over some of the original players

Basically just look for a big company that misses the market changes a couple of times in a row or that slips from premium brand (can command high price) to commodity (competing on price) over a short’ish period of time

Nickp

posted on 20/1/12 at 07:31 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by orton1966
What about Nokia – Missed every phone development, clamshells, smartphones etc. Remember they used to be the market leader by a mile!

But they do provide a large majority of the mobile network equipment (worldwide) that each of these swanky new phones etc needs to function. I know, because I help maintain these networks

SeaBass

posted on 20/1/12 at 08:00 AM Reply With Quote
Kodak lost sight of the prime market that will make them money - the mass consumer market. They assumed that because their chemical film was highly regarded by professionals and that almost everyone at one time had a Kodak film camera consumers would stick with the brand.

Their structure meant they would not and could not respond quickly enough to changes in demand from the marketplace - this combined with arrogance has sealed their fate.

I don't believe they will go under - more fade into a shadow of their former selves.

PSpirine

posted on 20/1/12 at 08:27 AM Reply With Quote
Nokia do so much stuff that as a mobile phone consumer you never actually physically see, that I doubt they'll be going bankrupt. They may re-structure their business slightly but they're pretty well set!

Heck they made speakers for the E36 BMW?!

Neville Jones

posted on 20/1/12 at 10:04 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Expected, unexpected ?

GTS Tuning?

owelly

posted on 20/1/12 at 10:32 AM Reply With Quote
Having seen companies asset-stripped, I often wonder if a lot of the big companies that fold, are all they seem. I wonder if there have been subsiduaries of Kodak or parts of the company (the chemical/research divisions for example) that have already been sold-off or shuffled sideways to a part of 'Kodak' that won't feel the administrator. That way when Kodak folds, it takes the debt with it, but the other bits get to carry on.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Irony

posted on 20/1/12 at 10:49 AM Reply With Quote
Personally I think Blockbusters will be soon. I would have got out of that business 4-5 years ago if I was in it. Technology moves so fast these days and some companies just don't look to the future.
dhutch

posted on 20/1/12 at 10:59 AM Reply With Quote
Nokia will be an interesting one, they have certainly lost the plot in terms of phone design, but as said, you get the feeling they have fingars in enough pies that they will stay up. That said, never say never.

Daniel

PSpirine

posted on 20/1/12 at 11:08 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Neville Jones
quote:
Expected, unexpected ?

GTS Tuning?

Rod Ends

posted on 20/1/12 at 11:42 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irony
Personally I think Blockbusters will be soon. I would have got out of that business 4-5 years ago if I was in it.
Technology moves so fast these days and some companies just don't look to the future.

I read Being Digital by Nicholas Negroponte a few years ago - he predicted a switch from atoms to bits:

quote:
Negroponte writes a lot about the idea of bits and atoms.
He notes that bits are the smallest form of information on a computer and that many bits when combined make up all information on a computer.
Digital music, ebooks, emails and many other types of information on the computer are made of bits.
He also writes about atoms which make up physical, tangible objects such as CDs, books and letters.
He believes that in the future all forms of information that are now made of atoms (books, CDs, etc.) will eventually be turned into bits.

Daddylonglegs

posted on 20/1/12 at 11:51 AM Reply With Quote
George White Motorcycles! Been around for almost 50years as far as I know, the local one to us (Swindon) expanded around 5 years ago to a brand new site near my work. Today they announced receivership!

I guess this is going to get much worse before it gets better?

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

britishtrident

posted on 20/1/12 at 01:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Hoover went bust 20 years back through the stupid marketing cased by a CEO chasiing sales not profit they still exist as a brand.

Nearly 15 years back i did some sub-contract work for Polaroid they knew the writing was on the wall for film cameras even then but ...............

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.