Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: pinto just cuts out from idle
john_p_b

posted on 30/5/12 at 08:25 AM Reply With Quote
pinto just cuts out from idle

Hi All.

started my indy last night for the 1st time in a long time, started ok after turning over a few times but nothing excessive for saying it's been stood a while, idled fine then just stopped as if someone had turned it off, turned the key and started again 1st turn of the key, ran for about 30 seconds then did the same again, no rough idling or missing just cut dead, again turned the key and fired straight back up.

i'm thinking it's got to be more ignition than fuel as it runs smooth as you like then just cuts straight out.

just wondered if anyone had anything similar happen to suggest anything before i just buy a new dizzy and coil.

it's currently got a bestek electronis set up on it without any vacuum advance as i fitted it when i was running twin 40's but they have sinse been removed and the original dgav 32/36 carb fitted.

the petrol is pretty old in the tank (2 years old!) but surely that would make it run rough before cutting out rather than just cutting out and being so easy to start again?

thanks for any help.

built a car, built a home, had a family. lost the family, lost the home, still got the car.

designer

posted on 30/5/12 at 08:53 AM Reply With Quote
Try changing the fuel, after two years the petrol could well be finished.
I store over winter with no problems, but for longer periods fuel preservative/stabilizer should be used.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Daddylonglegs

posted on 30/5/12 at 08:55 AM Reply With Quote
My 2p worth:

Change the petrol (how much is left in there? - Might be that you're picking up loads of crud from the tank, especially if it's been sitting)

Check that when you pull the filler cap off you don't get a 'Whoosh!' (vacuum building up)

Try blowing the jets through as the carb is probably cruddy too.

Might be worth blowing back through the fuel line to the tank (gently with an airliine) to clear any blockages.

HTH

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

britishtrident

posted on 30/5/12 at 10:32 AM Reply With Quote
step 1 ---- Clean both idle jets and also the main jets.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.