Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fuel Vapour
Hellfire

posted on 17/7/12 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote
Fuel Vapour

Since fitting a boot box a few years ago, we have long had a problem with the smell of fuel on opening the boot lid. We suspected that the cause of this could be the fuel filler tube not being the correct specification for the job. The rubber fuel filler tube (approx 6" in length) is exposed when the boot is opened and we thought this was where the smell was coming from.

We replaced the original tube with some filler tube from Dax but the problem still persists and the boot stinks of fuel. We've checked the tank for signs of leakage around the pump, sender units, breather pipe and welded seems but it appears to be fine. We've also replaced the hose from the pump to the fuel line but the smell is still present.

Any suggestions or ideas of how we can determine exactly where the smell is coming from?

Phil

Finished Boot
Finished Boot

cloudy

posted on 17/7/12 at 12:46 PM Reply With Quote
Sure it's not just vapour from your breather being absorbed the carpet?

James

www.warnercars.com

ReMan

posted on 17/7/12 at 01:04 PM Reply With Quote
This old chestnut?
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=164503

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

contaminated

posted on 17/7/12 at 03:19 PM Reply With Quote
hmmm, I had this problem a while back. The issue became most evident when soon after filling up with fuel a raised cat's eye destroyed my sump as I overtook a bike and the sparks ignited vapour at the back of the car causing a fire ball to chase me down the road (destroying the paint to the rear of the car, my lights, number plate, neck hair and pants). While the car was being resprayed we fitted all new hoses and a one way valve on the breather. Not happened since!

Tiger Super Six Independent
www.southernkitcars.com

Hellfire

posted on 17/7/12 at 05:30 PM Reply With Quote
We have a one way valve on the breather which is vented externally, so that isn't the problem. The braided fuel hose that we removed after seven years, showed no sign of internal degradation, so I doubt that's the problem either. The smell seems to be coming through the 50mm dia fuel filler tube somehow but the tube is nitrile lined and as it's from Dax, it should be suitable for purpose????

eBay Item This is the stuff we have fitted. Not sure if it's up to the job though.

Phil

contaminated

posted on 17/7/12 at 05:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hellfire
We have a one way valve on the breather which is vented externally, so that isn't the problem. The braided fuel hose that we removed after seven years, showed no sign of internal degradation, so I doubt that's the problem either. The smell seems to be coming through the 50mm dia fuel filler tube somehow but the tube is nitrile lined and as it's from Dax, it should be suitable for purpose????

eBay Item This is the stuff we have fitted. Not sure if it's up to the job though.

Phil

On that basis I'g go with one of the comments above. I think the carpet is compounding the issue. I suspect they all have a bit of a petrol odour, the carpet is making it linger? I'm not sure I know anyone with a carpetted boot in a kit.

Tiger Super Six Independent
www.southernkitcars.com

Hellfire

posted on 17/7/12 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
We want to cure the cause of the problem. I'm sure there are other kits which have carpetted boots that don't smell of fuel. Might try manufacturing the tube from aluminium with as little rubber as possible unless someone knows of a filler hose that doesn't let vapour through.....

Phil

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.