Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 4x4 driveshafts on an Avon
Northy

posted on 30/12/04 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
4x4 driveshafts on an Avon

Do I have to remove the ABS teeth from the 4x4 driveshafts to get them to fit into standard Avon rear uprights?

If so can anyone tell me how much I need to take off an from where (a picture would be good) as I'd like to do them and get them clean and painted before I start taking the car apart.

Cheers

Graham

Website under construction. Help greatfully received as I don't really know what I'm doing!

"If a man says something in the woods and there are no women there, is he still wrong?"

Built 2L 8 Valve Vx Powered Avon

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
carlgeldard

posted on 30/12/04 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
Uprights

Don't modify the driveshafts. You will have to modify the rear uprights to get the driveshafts to fit. I had to cut out the circular tube and replace it with a larger diameter. It will take about 3/4hrs once the suspension is stripped.

Carl

Northy

posted on 30/12/04 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Carl,

Are you sure? I'm sure someone told me I just had to remove the teeth.

I think I measured them a while ago, and they should fit, but I think the bit the bearing carrier bolts to is welded on offset so they will foal on one side of the tube. Did that make sense?

I may just take one side off tomorrow to see.

How's your build going?

Cheers

Graham

Website under construction. Help greatfully received as I don't really know what I'm doing!

"If a man says something in the woods and there are no women there, is he still wrong?"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
carlgeldard

posted on 30/12/04 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
Email

I sent you some pictures but they bounced back saying your mail box is full. I will try again. The build is coming along fine just need wheels and dash to finish.

Carl

[Edited on 30/12/04 by carlgeldard]

Northy

posted on 30/12/04 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
Pleas do Carl, it shouldn't be full.

How big are they?

Graham

carlgeldard

posted on 30/12/04 at 10:00 PM Reply With Quote
photo editing software

I will have to download some software over night and resend the photos in the morning or send the photos one at a time.

Carl

andrew.carwithen

posted on 30/12/04 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Graham,
Firstly, thanks for prompt reply to my U2U ref. pedal box.
Coincidentally, I've recently acquired a 4x4 diff and driveshafts with the abs teeth on them. I was going to replace my drum brake set up now before I got too far into the build, but if the rear uprights are going to need modifying, then perhaps I'll hangfire until after the build's complete and road legal.
Keep us posted on how you get on and what mods, if any, you end up having to carry out!

Cheers,
Andy.

Ben_Copeland

posted on 31/12/04 at 08:51 AM Reply With Quote
Northy, check out this thread http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=9903

Probably the same problem as the indy uprights. They just machine off the teeth completely.

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

Hellfire

posted on 31/12/04 at 10:24 AM Reply With Quote
Most people machine off the ABS teeth to allow the unit to pass through the hub. There is a number of opinions as to what the material is, whether it's aluminium or iron is least of the priorities. Just machine it off (IIRC 78.5 diameter for the MK Hub) and it should pass through.

HTH

Avoneer

posted on 31/12/04 at 12:13 PM Reply With Quote
The Tiger rear upright is a lot different from the MK one and I don't think that the lobro shafts will fit through the Tiger upright even with the teeth machined off.
Pat...

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

carlgeldard

posted on 31/12/04 at 05:54 PM Reply With Quote
photo

Now thats better Rescued attachment Rear Drive shaft.JPG
Rescued attachment Rear Drive shaft.JPG

Northy

posted on 31/12/04 at 06:06 PM Reply With Quote
Carl,

If you look at the attached picture.....

I think the stub axle and driveshaft split at the line marked A. Is that correct? Is is it further along?

If so I think it would be safe to remove material from the area parked B at the same time as removing the teeth.

Does that seem like a good idea? Rescued attachment split line.jpg
Rescued attachment split line.jpg

Graham

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.