posted on 1/9/24 at 12:09 PM Reply With Quote
Robotic ali shaping

[Edited on 1/9/24 by Rod Ends]

cool machine - $1M unfortunately

Slimy38

posted on 2/9/24 at 08:04 AM Reply With Quote
I saw a variation of that, where instead of one tool acting against a bed it was a pair of tools pushing against each other. And at least on that one I could see lines where it had been formed, similar to a 3D printer. I wonder if this one has similar lines that would need to be cleaned up.

It's certainly great technology, but for that money I don't think the panel beaters of the world are going to be looking for alternative employment. Apart from the initial outlay I'm sure a skilled operator is going to want a decent salary.

nick205

posted on 2/9/24 at 09:20 AM Reply With Quote
Looks impressive.

20 odd years ago (through work) I came across a sheet metal vacuum forming system. The company was called "Custom Metal Forms". It worked on a male mould with the sheet metal heated until pliant (but not droopy) then vacuum formed over the male mould. Impressive results, very £££££ process and the company survived about 2.5 years. Haven't seen or heard of it since. The metal used was an alloy of mainly Aluminium with some steel and Zinc. Parts limited to 1,000mm x 1,000mm (machine size limitation).

Rod Ends

posted on 2/9/24 at 10:31 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
Looks impressive.

20 odd years ago (through work) I came across a sheet metal vacuum forming system. The company was called "Custom Metal Forms". It worked on a male mould with the sheet metal heated until pliant (but not droopy) then vacuum formed over the male mould. Impressive results, very £££££ process and the company survived about 2.5 years. Haven't seen or heard of it since. The metal used was an alloy of mainly Aluminium with some steel and Zinc. Parts limited to 1,000mm x 1,000mm (machine size limitation).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superplastic_forming

I remember that. Morgan switched to making their front wings by superplastic forming.

gremlin1234

posted on 2/9/24 at 06:50 PM Reply With Quote
the ali forming looks nice, but it must end up paper thin,
I guess you could then spray a fiberglass matting or similar to the inside, and add fixing points.
plus 'finish' the outside with filler and paint.

then it could become a useful design/build method.

coyoteboy

posted on 2/9/24 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
Only paper thin if it started thin in the first place. And welded or folded edges/mountings are easily added surely?
gremlin1234

posted on 3/9/24 at 10:54 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
Only paper thin if it started thin in the first place. And welded or folded edges/mountings are easily added surely?

indeed, but if using thicker material a piece that size would not be completed in the 35 minutes the video claims.

but also good for prototyping, and potentially make moulds from it

bi22le

posted on 4/9/24 at 01:09 PM Reply With Quote
Smarter everyday (YT channel) did a really good behind the scenes episode of a very advanced company using a paired CNC system. It was very impressive what they could do.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.