Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Tiger PU Bushes
DaveFJ

posted on 4/4/05 at 11:59 AM Reply With Quote
Tiger PU Bushes

OK - not the usual debate!!!

Finally getting around to fitting my wishbones. started putting in the PU bushes yesterday and (apart from them being really easy top fit!) I have found that they seem to be too big ?

Unfortuantely i did not take a picture but basically when the bushes are put in from each side and touching in the middle there is about a 1mm gap from the edge of the tube to the shoulder of the bush (2mm total)
It would sem to me that this would allow the wishbones to move sligthly backward and forward?

Is this correct ?

my other simpler question is where do the tiger supplied metal bushes fit ? I'm guessing outboard end of lower rear wishbones but I can't find that confirmed anywhere ?

Cheers

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

Andrew Bause

posted on 4/4/05 at 12:20 PM Reply With Quote
AVON Poly Bushes

Hi Dave,

You will have to cut down the bushes slightly as the bush shoulder need to be flush with the wishbone tube for them to fit the brackets on the chassis.
Metal bushes should be fitted in the lower outboard joint of the rear susspension, attached pic shows.

Cheers!

Andy Bause
VX 16v AVON Rescued attachment tiger2 001.jpg
Rescued attachment tiger2 001.jpg

We have been doing so much with so little for so long - Now we can do anything with nothing!

DaveFJ

posted on 4/4/05 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers, guess i will now have to remove a couple of bushes which will no doubt be more difficult than fitting them

In your picture it would appear that the rear wishbones are the other way round than explained in the book (bad english). The book says that the longer arm should be to the rear...
Is that just an optical illusion or is it another "feature" of the book to be wary of ?

Cheers

Dave

DaveFJ

posted on 4/4/05 at 01:41 PM Reply With Quote
Any suggestions on the best way to cut the bushes down ?

cheers

Dave

carlgeldard

posted on 4/4/05 at 02:22 PM Reply With Quote
The book is wrong. Fit the lower rear wishbones opposite way to what it says in the book. Well thats if you are looking at revison one of book.
DaveFJ

posted on 4/4/05 at 03:51 PM Reply With Quote
cheers... yet another - tigerism....

Dave

andrew.carwithen

posted on 4/4/05 at 04:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by carlgeldard
The book is wrong. Fit the lower rear wishbones opposite way to what it says in the book. Well thats if you are looking at revison one of book.

WTF??!!

Please, Carl, please tell me you're mistaken!!!
As I've mentioned elsewhere, I've got a v.early chassis and I bought it part - built c/w original edition of the 'book'.
My rear wishbones are as per the book, i.e. longer arms of 'bones (both upper and lower) are at rear.
( I must admit, that the shockers are twisted within their brackets - but I put this down to yet another example of 'iffy' Tiger quality standards and the rubber bushes.)
So, your saying that the revised edition of the book states that they should be fitted the opposite way round?!! - Is that both the upper and lower 'bones or just the lower?
I need to get this right, 'cos it means I'm gonna have to strip the rear end down (yet again!!)
If anyone's got the revised edition, can they please double check this for me, before I embark on swapping them around. I'd really appreciate it.

Many thanks,

Andy.

DaveFJ

posted on 4/4/05 at 04:08 PM Reply With Quote
and so another can of worms is opened.......

Dave

Hellfire

posted on 4/4/05 at 04:13 PM Reply With Quote
I read this section of LB often - it's reassuring!

andrew.carwithen

posted on 4/4/05 at 04:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DaveFJ
and so another can of worms is opened.......

...You started it!!!

Andy.

carlgeldard

posted on 4/4/05 at 04:36 PM Reply With Quote
Andy

About 2 years ago at Coiln King's (Avon builder near York) Graham,Pat,Coiln and I were talking about things tiger related (as you do) and it was agreed by all four of us that the book was wrong. Colin also said "Jim said the book is wrong flip the wishbone over" I know for a fact that Tiger now put a small bead of weld on the wishbone to indicate which way around they go,But I can not tell you if its the weld bead to the front or rear.

Carl

carlgeldard

posted on 4/4/05 at 04:39 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry forgot to say I don't know what it say's in the second book but chances are they only changed the picture on the front cover and the price. (locost revision of the book)

Carl

andrew.carwithen

posted on 4/4/05 at 05:08 PM Reply With Quote
Carl,
I've just had a look at Colin King's build manual (downloaded from N.E.T.O.C site).

He states that the 'weld' on the lower bones goes to the rear.
Do yours have this weld marking and, if so, what arm is it on (longer or shorter?)
There's a revised edition book on ebay at mo'. I'll see if I can put in a successful bid, (finishes tomorrow) and if so, I'll be able to tell all, what exactly, the differences are between the two editions (so, please, will nobody else on here bid on it!)

Andy.

Northy

posted on 4/4/05 at 05:10 PM Reply With Quote
I spoke to Tiger directly about this (after the above night), and they said, "No fit them as the book." After discussing this with them for a while, they said they would go and put one together to try. They then said, " Your right, fit them oposite to what the book (1st edition) says."

The most important thing is the measurement from the back of the chassis to the end of the wishbone it mentions in the book, is it 110mm from memory?

Sorry

Graham

Website under construction. Help greatfully received as I don't really know what I'm doing!

"If a man says something in the woods and there are no women there, is he still wrong?"

Built 2L 8 Valve Vx Powered Avon

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Northy

posted on 4/4/05 at 05:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hellfire
I read this section of LB often - it's reassuring!

I little bird told me your not having such a simple time on your rebuild though

Graham

Website under construction. Help greatfully received as I don't really know what I'm doing!

"If a man says something in the woods and there are no women there, is he still wrong?"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
andrew.carwithen

posted on 4/4/05 at 05:18 PM Reply With Quote
Graham,
Did you flip over both upper and lower wishbones or just the lower?

Andy.

Northy

posted on 4/4/05 at 05:19 PM Reply With Quote
Just lower

Graham

andrew.carwithen

posted on 4/4/05 at 05:29 PM Reply With Quote
So, to recap:-

Upper wishbone - long arm to rear.

Lower wishbone - long arm to front.

Correct?

Thanks,
Andy.

P.S.
(I'll probably ask the same question on the main Tiger forum - There's far too much space taken up with technical queries on the Cat and Six anyway! )

carlgeldard

posted on 4/4/05 at 05:33 PM Reply With Quote
I made my own wishbones so I don't have the welds in question.

Hellfire:-You would love the engineering challenge and you are only jealous because you got an MK

Carl

carlgeldard

posted on 4/4/05 at 05:36 PM Reply With Quote
Andy

It was disscussed on the old Yahoo site do a search

Carl

andrew.carwithen

posted on 4/4/05 at 06:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by carlgeldard
Andy

It was disscussed on the old Yahoo site do a search

Carl

Found it!
( still listed in 'my favourites' Surprised I was still able to search old messages:cool

Yep, flip over bottom 'bones only.

Not out of the woods yet, though.....

Carl, I know you haven't swapped your uprights from one side to another ( I seem to remember you saying on another post somewhere that your callipers are at the front?)
But, Graham and I have so that callipers are at rear.

So, Graham, if you read this, did the bones and uprights still line up ok inspite of this? (thought there was some sort of offset in the uprights as well?)

Thanks,

Andy.

Northy

posted on 4/4/05 at 06:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by andrew.carwithen

So, Graham, if you read this, did the bones and uprights still line up ok inspite of this? (thought there was some sort of offset in the uprights as well?)

Thanks,

Andy.

Yes, no offset in the upright

Graham

andrew.carwithen

posted on 4/4/05 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote

Yes, no offset in the upright

Good! Oh well, looks like I'll be swapping the rear end around again then!
While I'm at it, Is it advisable to replace the rubber type bushes for Poly? - are they that superior? (I'd imagine it'd be a bitch of a job to remove the rubber ones?)
Should I get them from Tiger or are there better alternatives out there?
Finally, As Davef asked in his last post, what is the best way of cutting down the poly bushes to fit?
(I do apologise, Dave, I did somewhat hijack your post! )

Cheers,
Andy.

Lightning

posted on 4/4/05 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
Buggered if I'm changing mine . I spent ages aligning the rear wheels for camber and toe.

Steve

Andrew Bause

posted on 4/4/05 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
AVON Rear Wishbones

Dave, I'm assuming you have a late kit as you have Poly bushes? The rear lower wishbones have a short line of weld to indicate the side facing the rear of the car.

Cheers!

Andy Bause
VX 16v AVON

[Edited on 4/4/05 by Andrew Bause]

We have been doing so much with so little for so long - Now we can do anything with nothing!

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.