Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: SVA Fail at Birmingham
Jeffers_S13

posted on 7/8/06 at 02:41 PM Reply With Quote
SVA Fail at Birmingham

As I was anticipating, just very minor things. Nine in total.

Few bolts need nylocs or lock washers (handbrake joiner where it splits needs a nut...doh!) so will sort that easy enough.

Couple of gauges not covered by wheel + 127mm radius, were too sharp. Stick on edging.

Sharp edges on side vent. Stick on edging again.

Front indicators are 10mm too low (I used some wheels off a Ka for the SVA for other reasons, it didnt occur to me that it would affect this, bugger) use bigger wheels ! or raise suspension.

Brake bar not pinned (I expected this as I wanted to be sure they were OK before drilling and pinning). Will now drill and pin.

Hidden engine kill switch on underside of passenger dash (also anti-theft device) too sharp. Bypass and remove.

Thats it ! easy re-test. Friendly bloke called David carried out the test, certainly a 'realist' and waived a few close-calls, top bloke. As soon as I arrived he wanted to check chassis number so I lifted the bonnet off and it stayed off for whole test. I hadnt even stuck the dubious SVA safe catch covers on the catches. He saw them on the seat and didnt question them any further. Not sure what I was worried about really !

One annoying thing, my exhaust tip fouled on the trailer edge as I reversed off and the weld has fractured about 80% of the way around, so it rattled embarrassingly for most of the test whilst the weld fractured more and more Not sure if this affected emissions much but they were around ~0.07 (this with no cat) well within my 3.5% allowance ! so another job to re-weld that on, minus the big radiused tip...

Just trying to book myself in for the retest this Friday. Not long till Im legal now

James

One final thing I also failed on a couple of button head bolts being too sharp !? the edges off the socket where the allen key goes arent safe, Ive got to blob some silicone in them or get some covers to put in/on them, bit annoying and surprising.

Also, I'll take pics of the more critical areas like the front end for people to use as a reference, I got through with surprising few nut covers and very little egde trim etc. Ive read of people failing because of the ends of the springs, I made no effort to cover them and they werent questioned ? I wonder if because he knew it was a Rush he thought they didnt need checking as Rushes normally have those spindly bumper things ?

[Edited on 7/8/06 by Jeffers_S13]

Build pics : http://tinyurl.com/fuyh6

muzchap

posted on 7/8/06 at 02:45 PM Reply With Quote
Good luck with the re-test!

Stoofer and the rest of the 200sx guys send their best wishes too!

Not long till you're out ripping up the tarmac Hooligan!!!

------------------------------------
If you believe you're not crazy, whilst everybody is telling you, you are - then they are definitely wrong!
------------------------------------

stevec

posted on 7/8/06 at 02:53 PM Reply With Quote
Well done, I am going to use Garrets Green for my SVA towards the end of the year.
Good luck withh the retest.
Steve.

keith

posted on 7/8/06 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
well done,passed re-test last week at same place,very easy going and helpfull.been to dvla today for register,so thats me all done,"i cant wait for the weekend to arrive" Rescued attachment th_9ad1c54d.jpg
Rescued attachment th_9ad1c54d.jpg

Jeffers_S13

posted on 8/8/06 at 07:03 AM Reply With Quote
Ahh, I was going to ask about the registering bit. Did you just turn up at the Brum DVLA office with all paperwork and get it done there and then ? Im hoping to get pass on Friday then head into Brum to DVLA office and hope I get done aswell. Trouble is they only do re-tests at the most useless time of 12am. So Im not gonna get to the DVLA till at earliest 1pm. Im hoping that he finishes the cars hes testing early so mine gets re-tested earlier.

keith

posted on 8/8/06 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
thats exactly what i did,but there is only one person who does the kit-cars,karen chandler and the day i went she wasnt there,so just handed over all paperwork with insurance cover note paid £98.50 then picked the time to suit me the following week,they are really quiet at this time of year,but you do need to trailer it to dvla at elmdon for registration.
Jeffers_S13

posted on 14/8/06 at 02:48 PM Reply With Quote
Well the car passed the SVA and MOT on Friday. I failed the MOT on a tiny split in the steering rack gaitor so had to fix that and get re-test so no chance to register it in the afternoon.

I just now got back from trying to sort out registration at Edwards Street in Brum. Quicker than I thought, BUT as Keith says above I now have to take the car for another inspection at Elmdon. The next date I can do is the 25th. Then they decide what plate to give me and finally issue docs for the car and then I'll be able to get on the road. Why cant everything be done in one visit to a VOSA station, surely they could have one person capable of doing everything ? MOT, SVA and inspection. Would save a lot of faff for builders.

[Edited on 14/8/06 by Jeffers_S13]

kev R1

posted on 14/8/06 at 04:33 PM Reply With Quote
you shouldn't need an mot! you can have one but it's not necessary!
Jeffers_S13

posted on 14/8/06 at 04:45 PM Reply With Quote
I was told by the DVLA that I needed one or I couldnt register it, my car is a 'kit car conversion' not a 'kit car' so perhaps this is the difference ?

kev R1

posted on 14/8/06 at 05:35 PM Reply With Quote
ah i see, oh well hope you get it sorted soon!
soggy 3

posted on 29/9/06 at 11:47 PM Reply With Quote
Alright mate good to hear you passed have been checking up on the sxoc for your pics and new you were getting close,mine still isnt finished but on the down hill stretch now hopefully before crimbo,to be honest im am sick to death of it i will be glad when its finished.
well done though, when mines done we will have to meet up again.
ps if you have a look in my pics there some of my bike carb conversion.
mark

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.