Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Nissan 200sx donor
Andy W

posted on 25/8/06 at 05:18 PM Reply With Quote
Nissan 200sx donor

Just spotted this in the local paper, might be of interest to someone.

Nissan 200sx 1.8 Turbo s13 series, good engine, gear box, new clutch and tyres. Spares or repair £500 o.n.o

07979 861387
01482 812299

Andy

graememk

posted on 25/8/06 at 05:18 PM Reply With Quote
i'm using the older s12 engine

tom windmill

posted on 25/8/06 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
what paper andy? hull daily mail? im searching franticly

Andy W

posted on 25/8/06 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
Hull daily mail, at the back in the spares. That's the phone number in the first post.

Andy

RazMan

posted on 25/8/06 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
The S13 is a bullet proof engine capable of 300bhp with relatively minor mods (turbo & intercooler & chip)

Go for it!

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
garage19

posted on 25/8/06 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
There were actually two different engines in the S13. Early ones got a CA18det and later ones get a SR20det.

hobbsy

posted on 25/8/06 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
The UK models only got the CA18DET, Jap imports got both the CA and the SR later on (not much later on - a lot sooner than the S14 came out). Its the S14/S14a that came with the SR20DET in the UK. I've owned both and tuned them so am happy to answer any questions.
Jeffers_S13

posted on 30/8/06 at 07:28 AM Reply With Quote
Just my 2ps worth as there is often much confusion relating to 200's.

I wouldnt say they were bullet proof engines, the big ends are very prone to going on the CA18DET in poorly serviced older cars when regularly taken to the red line. Beware if buying this one for the engine as the cranks can often be damaged beyond repair if the big ends have gone as in general terms its quite rare for big ends to go these days so people are seemingly oblivious to the early signs of damage. Also the noise they create sounds VERY much like something rattling at the top end so your average have a go mechanic usually proclaims it to be 'sticky lifters', if you are unsure whether the big ends are knocking there is an easy check. Get engine running (if it will) get your head under the bonnet and slightly rev the engine then release (I dont mean bounce off the limiter) if there is a clunking noise on run down then the big ends are shot, also by holding the engine at or around ~3000rpm and just as you release the throttle you can hear it quite clearly. Not always beyond repair as there are 0.25, 0.5 and 0.75mm undersize bearings available, the louder the clunking the bigger grind you'll need, if its really bad you will need a new crank and poss a new con rod on the muller journal, normally number 3.

A few other facts :

No UK S13 had the SR20DET as standard, only imports. Many people swap SR20's in though, its not that hard as there are guides available on the SXOC.

ALL UK 200's had the 1.8 litre CA18DET with a single garret T25 turbo, good for 169-171BHP as standard.

There were or are no NA ones.

NO UK S13 has to pass a CAT test, someone on the SXOC has written proof from VOSA (?) that no emission figures were ever presented for the S13 and ther CA18DET, despite many of the later ones being fitted with a CAT, if you get one ensure the MOT tester does not plug the wrong engine code or car data into the machine, the later SR20DET powered 200's do have to pass CAT emmisions levels. However a well rebuilt CA or SR will pass CAT emissions without a CAT !

The S13 imports are referred to as the 180SX strangely.

The S14, S14a and S15 have the 2 litre SR20DET with a garret T28 and ~197BHP, some of those had VVT.

To make things more confusing Nissan seemed to released loads of slightly different body variants in Japan that have now started to find their way to the UK, like S13 chassis with boots like S14's and ones without pop-up headlights.

If you want anything 200SX related your best bet is to visit www.sxoc.com complete CA18DET engines (in need of rebuild) and gearboxes can be had for ~£250 from the breakers section. Even better a few people on the SXOC host downloadable copies of the FULL Nissan workshop manual for the S13 and S14 (or I can email you copy) they are fantastically useful and immensely well detailed about every area of the cars.

Id always buy an engine that had a good crank and plan to rebuild, lots of people just stick new shells in when they hear the clunking from the big ends and inevitably the clunking returns. You never know what condition its in even if someone says what they have done to it.

You can rebuild a CA18DET thats good for 300BHP for ~£1000 including forged pistons.

Build pics : http://tinyurl.com/fuyh6

mike-ktm

posted on 30/8/06 at 10:06 AM Reply With Quote
That's some good info there Jeffers - good work

If you can send me a copy of the manuals to poundsigns@hotmail.com I'd much appreciate it.

Thanks,

Mike

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.