Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Brake pipe flares using Sykes Pickavant gear
Jeffers_S13

posted on 31/1/07 at 10:58 AM Reply With Quote
Brake pipe flares using Sykes Pickavant gear

I bought a seconhand lever action pro flare tool off ebay ages ago. It came with two die sets, 4.76mm and 3/16". They only produce the single flare type ends (domed/mushroom). It does an amazing job.

Do I need to buy additional die sets to do double flares ? the trumpet/cupped style type ?

Does anyone have any pics of what these look like ? Its just occured to me that maybe the dial part of the die can be reversed and the other end does the double flare bit of the operation, in fact do I just need another bit to go in the dial part of the tool ? so I do the single flare, dial the gauge around then pull the lever again to reverse the flare ? pics of your dies would be most appreciated !

Sorry for thinking out loud whilst I type...

James

edit : just realised that the OP1 and OP2 have something do with this, I guess OP1 means 1st operation i.e. making the single flare then OP2 means the 2nd part of the operation which is reversing the flare. So I guess I need OP2 parts to go in the dial to suit the dies I have, what are the bits that go in the dial called ?

edit again : Really should have done more googling, they are called punches I believe and I found a pic of what I was after.
[Edited on 31/1/07 by Jeffers_S13]

Build pics : http://tinyurl.com/fuyh6

James

posted on 31/1/07 at 02:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jeffers_S13
in fact do I just need another bit to go in the dial part of the tool ? so I do the single flare, dial the gauge around then pull the lever again to reverse the flare ?

Yes!

Don't have pics.... just used to have a borrowed tool! Utterly phenomenal compared to the crappy 'wind up' type.

HTH,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

Marcus

posted on 31/1/07 at 02:52 PM Reply With Quote
As above. They usually come with 2 punches OP1 and OP2 for the double flare. I've had one for years - made more brake pipes than I care to mention. Always keep the old pipe ends too, you never know when you'll need a 3/8" UNF union!

Marcus

Because kits are for girls!!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
davidwag

posted on 31/1/07 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,

The part no you require for the double flare punch is 02707100. The 3/16 dies are always used for double flare whether metric or imperial ends are used.

You should be able to order this from most motor factors.

Davidwag

[Edited on 31/1/07 by davidwag]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.