Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: lucky me!
locoboy

posted on 5/9/08 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
lucky me!

Seeing as there isnt a forum named ' nearly Fc*ked your engine' i thought i should post it in this one! :shock:

I set off from work tonight with severe flooding in the immediate vacinity to my work.

Last time we had flooding this bad i had to go 32 miles out of my way to get the normal 9 miles home, i thought bugger it i will get the map out and look for some cut throughs. I work in quite a remote rural area so i set off on my way.

Got through some pretty deep water in the trusty 406 2.1td estate steed then half a mile before i hit the main road i wad aiming for i came to another deepbit that i thought the old girl would take in her stride.

Wrong!

We she made it through fine and i sat on the uphill slope after passing through the flood to just let her tick over and ensure all was well before i carried on and it spluttered to a stop.

It restarted immediately and i tried to drive off, as soon as the engine was under load by letting the clutch out it spluttered and died.
It re started again and i left it 5 min of idleing with lots of stem/white smoke coming out the back. It idled perfectly but as soon as i tried to rev it it died.

Then it failed to restart on 5 attempts, it was just convilsing badly.

On the 6th time it started and i left it running again for another 5 minutes with no revs.
then i began to apply the revs, a little at a time. I got to 2k revs then it would not hold continuous revs, it would just drop with the accelerator held in the same place. then is stalled again.

I took the opertunity to remove the air filter housing and wated ran out of it :frown: :evil:

I thought it may start and rev better with no filter bit it didnt.

I finally got it running agian with a flying Scotsman amount of steam coming out the back and i let it idle again, after another 10 min i gradully increased the revs until i felt sure it would drive.

I went forwards and backwards a dozen times to make sure it would drive and not cut out on the next bit of water i could see only 40m down the road.

It drove and got on the main road ant it performed faultlessly on the way home [/]fingers crossed[/].

I got it home and stopped it then it restarted straight away.

New filter tomorrow and a note to myself to spend the extra on the diesel to go the safe, long way round to get home next time, or buy a land rover!

Its fair to say i thought i had ferked it!

Im having a celebrator beer now
I just hope its alright in the morning :cry:

ATB
Locoboy

chris_smith

posted on 5/9/08 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
virtually the same thing happened to me on way home although not to the point of dying lucky me also

The secret of success is to know something nobody else knows."

nasty-bob

posted on 5/9/08 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
I had a similar experience last year. Mine stalled in a flood after some twat coming the other way sent a wave over my bonnet.

I thought it was shagged as it wouldn't start or turn over. Towed it home and tried the next day after drying out the intake and it started but was really rough. But I swear once it dried out (steam dissapeared) it went better than before.

Anyway, glad your story ended well also- I've heard lots of stories of bent rods and broken cranks.

nick205

posted on 5/9/08 at 09:31 PM Reply With Quote
Loco - I'm detecting a fancy for French cars in you

Sounds like you like a challenge and had a bit of an adventure on the way home

adithorp

posted on 6/9/08 at 08:52 AM Reply With Quote
Sound like you were very lucky. Water getting drawn into a diesel usually causes a hydralic lock and can bends stuff (expensive stuff like conrods). I suspect it was just a soaked air filter that stopped it before too much went in or some water killed the electrics.

Have a look where the air intake is; quite a few are low down and picked up water very easily (can't remember on a 406).

adrian

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

MikeR

posted on 6/9/08 at 09:38 AM Reply With Quote
306 had the intake at the front of the bumper.

I know cause a mate lent his work car to a colleague, it never came back due to him driving through a ford.

If only a little water got into the engine it can have the effect of steam cleaning it / decoking it- hence it may seem to run better

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.