Board logo

Pipes
Ben 4x4 Shepperd - 31/12/03 at 02:01 PM

What has everyone used pipe-wise I have got 8mm copper and that coppery brake pipe stuff but my dad rekons you have to use steel pipe for the fuel and that it would be best to use steel for the brake pipes too. However that mean that the pipe cutter/flaring kit etc I've got are useless as they aren't ment to cut steel.
What has everyone else done?
Cheers
Ben

Jonte - 31/12/03 at 02:16 PM

*hrm* steel pipes....
Well if you don´t care about rust, it can be used. But it´s gonna be harder to bend and flare.

I´m probably gonna use coppertubes for brakes and fuel.
Maybe I´m gonna use steelbraided teflon hose for fuel, I´m not sure yet.

But it´s definitive gonna be steelbraided hoses for the last part to the brakes.

I work with hydraulics, so all the parts can I find at work

Ben_Copeland - 31/12/03 at 02:19 PM

Copper for brakes, if it's good enough for everyone else then it's good enough for me.

As jonte says steel pipes rust, like they do on production cars, plus it's hard to bend them.

Go for copper for brakes, and fuel pipe or copper pipe for fuel.

DaveFJ - 31/12/03 at 04:03 PM

read somehwere the other day that steel brake pipes were an SVA fail.... not sure where but will try to find out.....

greggors84 - 31/12/03 at 07:17 PM

Ive used copper pipe that was supplied with the kit for the brakes. And copper microbore 8mm heating pipe, with goodrich rubber pipe with cotton braiding to the carbs and tank.

Hellfire - 31/12/03 at 10:37 PM

You can get IIRC nickel plated copper pipe... it's nice and expensive though.

We have used microbore too for fuel, all nice and p-clipped up.

The tool you have should be ok for steel but IMHO I'd go for the tried and trusted on this one!

Hellfire - 31/12/03 at 10:38 PM

The tool you have should be ok for steel but IMHO I'd go for the tried and trusted on this one!

Hellfire - 31/12/03 at 10:38 PM

Hellfire - 31/12/03 at 10:39 PM

Jonte - 1/1/04 at 11:44 AM

Hellfire

I think we heard you the first time

Ben_Copeland - 1/1/04 at 01:39 PM

I think he's trying to get his post count up lol

Ben 4x4 Shepperd - 2/1/04 at 07:56 PM

cheers guys
persuaded the guilty party now!!!!
Going to use copper and flexible bits for both now!
Cheers
Ben

Findlay234 - 3/1/04 at 10:20 AM

Have you thought about using Tofosi kit car supplies for this. I got a long piece of ali alloy tubing(has a fine coating of plastic paint), a length of flexy tube with steel braiding round it and all the fixing inc p-clips and end fittings. cant remember price but look at
http://www.tifosi-devon.co.uk

GO - 3/1/04 at 02:59 PM

fin, was thinking of getting that kit myself - do you think you've got enough pipe for the return line to the tank? or are you running carbs on your 4age?

Hellfire - 3/1/04 at 10:18 PM

Sorry about that lads - it didn't register me as logged in!!! Couldn't sign in no-matter-what.. that's why I moved me site!

Sorry! ((3 more for the count then!!!))

paulbeyer - 3/1/04 at 10:47 PM

quote:
Originally posted by GO
fin, was thinking of getting that kit myself - do you think you've got enough pipe for the return line to the tank? or are you running carbs on your 4age?

I used the aluminium pipe from Tifosi on my car. When I bought it I was using a pinto on carbs but changed to a 4AGE with the original injection. That means I need a return to the tank but there isn't enough ally tube so I intend using 8mm copper microbore tube from my local DIY store. I only bought the aluminium tube from Tifosi and passed on the braided flexis. In hind sight this was a mistake because I later found out the aluminium tube is 9mm diameter whilst all the other connections are 8mm. In the end I had to force 8mm rubber hose over the plastic coated 9mm stuff, this was a real bastard of a job and not to be recommended.