Board logo

Sump hanging low
Thierry - 27/12/08 at 09:19 PM

I know that most sumps do hang under the chassis, my sump will sit about 1 1/2 " below the car after i modifie the sump a bit, i am useing a mx-5 bp engine an still i need to cut a hole in the bonnet to clear the vvt switch. What engine do most people use and how low is your sump and what have you done.
Cheers Thierry

imp paul - 27/12/08 at 10:08 PM

hi could you not mod the sump to make it shorter and make it wider to hold right amount of oil? as some of us do

Thierry - 27/12/08 at 10:16 PM

The 1 1/2 inch low is after i take about 1 inch off the sump, then the bell housing will be at the lowest point.
Thierry

imp paul - 27/12/08 at 10:19 PM

well my sump is 6 inc of the deck thats plenty of room lol how much room have you got to the floor?

[Edited on 27/12/08 by imp paul]

[Edited on 27/12/08 by imp paul]

mark chandler - 28/12/08 at 12:26 AM

Most CEC's have the sump hanging low, 1.5" does not sound that bad to me.

The question is how good are the roads you will be travelling on and what ride height are you looking to achieve.

David Jenkins - 28/12/08 at 09:02 AM

In the UK the general consensus is to have around 100mm between the bottom of the engine and the road - this should clear most speed bumps.

blakep82 - 28/12/08 at 12:44 PM

quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
In the UK the general consensus is to have around 100mm between the bottom of the engine and the road - this should clear most speed bumps.

the ride height of my car is only 90mm (chassis to road) , and the sump hangs below that... actually, the bodywork is lower than that too i think.

luckily not too many speed bumps round my way

jono2020 - 4/8/10 at 04:20 PM

I had the same problem, mine is in the garage at the moment, Im getting the sump modified and Im getting a couple of spacers added to the engine mounts to give me another inch... it also gives me an excuse to cut a whole for the webbers that iv been thinking about for a while as they wont fit after raising the engine. I dont mean to insult u by saying this but have u raised the suspension?? Im only asking because mine was the lowest it went when I brought it and Iv added about an inch just by raising the from suspension...

Thierry - 9/8/10 at 06:04 AM

currently i have about 110mm under the engine and 150mm under the chassis, for registration purpose mainly but my rear shocks are nearly topped out.
Cheers Thierry

Bluemoon - 9/8/10 at 08:03 AM

normaly you set the wishbones parrell to the ground that sets the ride hight. If you cant get 100mm clearance then you needd to think abour raising the engine/shortening the sump but one its the same as the bellhousing u can't do anybetter....

Dan

t.j. - 9/8/10 at 03:45 PM

- I angeled the engine 3,5 degree (incl the diff)
- shortened the sump
- pushed the engine as far as possible to the rear.