Board logo

R1 air box... fit a performance air filter?
Major Stare - 9/9/09 at 06:51 AM

2003, R1.

I have fitted the Yamaha Air Box and the panel air filter that came with it.

Would fitting a K&N/Pipercross type panel filter make any difference?

Flamez - 9/9/09 at 07:08 AM

I guess the bike airbox is best as its designed for the engine however you would beed to mount it forwards and into the airflow to be truly efficient.

For me it was a case of that I didn't want to cut a hole in the bonnet. Eventually MAC1 designed a purpose made airbox for the ZX10R and I think it fits the bill. Some have an inline filter and airscoop although for now I went with the cone.

It all fits under the bonnet nice and snug and I believe it kills some of the induction noise. I am sure you could get one fabricated for an R1.

airbox
airbox

Airbox
Airbox

nstrug - 9/9/09 at 01:06 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Major Stare
2003, R1.

I have fitted the Yamaha Air Box and the panel air filter that came with it.

K&N panel filter is slightly freer flowing than the stock filter so should help. Do you have a Powercommander? As you have non-stock exhaust, removed the EXUP (I presume) and will have non-stock filter, it would really help to use a PCIII and get the car properly mapped.

Nick

Jon Ison - 9/9/09 at 01:19 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Major Stare

My best guess would be a dyno would struggle to note the difference let alone your butt.

Major Stare - 9/9/09 at 07:08 PM

I'll leave it then and work out if my next purchase is..

(A) A new helmet (current one is 9 years old)
(B) A Power Commander

Major Stare - 24/3/10 at 09:57 PM

Bringing this thread up again...........

Just bought a K&N panel air filter off fleebay.... safe to run or not (stock ECU/no PC)?

bassett - 25/3/10 at 12:52 PM

I am sure the ecu will adapt to the marginal increase in flow and probably better than the sausage filter as mine gets massive heat soak.