Board logo

BEC Engine Oil
Hellfire - 11/5/04 at 11:17 PM

A tad of advice would be very helpful regarding the engine oil for said Fireblade engine.

I've heard (on Yahoo!) that Redline and Castrol R are the ones to go for - but not knowing much about bike oil's your help would be gratefully received as to which one is accepted as the best for this engine.

Thanks in anticipation

spunky - 11/5/04 at 11:59 PM

I have used Redline racing oil before but I resent the price.
Popular opinion is to avoid Fully synthetic because of clutch slip but Triumph use full synthetic in their bikes...!
I have used Millers semi synthetic in the honda engine in the car as seemed a fair compromise between cost and quality. I also liked Castrol Racing 4T which is bike specific.
TBH I reckon there is a lot of BS regarding engine oil, and the most important thing is dont cook the engine and change it regularly. IMHO

John

timcrasher - 12/5/04 at 06:24 AM

I agree with, John.
The important thing thing to remember is to use a bike specific oil. Car clutches dont use oil as a lubricant, so car oils are full of friction reducing agents, that will cause clutch slip in a bike.
Use a good semi-synthetic 10/40 oil from a bike shop, and change it every 2500 - 3000 miles and you wont have any trouble. You dont need a fully synthetic oil, as long as you change it often enough. A 4ltr bottle should cost about £ 15.
Cheers
Tim