Board logo

ZX9R rad?
Smooth Torquer - 29/5/04 at 07:32 AM

Hi guys

Will a ZX9R E1 radiator fit in a standard nose cone?

And are there any parts on the radiator which i need for the rest of the engine, such as temperature sensors or anything?

Thanks in advance
Sam

phelpsa - 29/5/04 at 08:31 AM

A lot of people use a polo or micra rad and they are quite cheam in a scrappie.

Adam

sting - 29/5/04 at 09:27 AM

i`ve just fitted a mk1 polo rad in an ST std nose cone and it fits snuggly.if you go this route make sure you don`t get the mk2 version as it wont fit.

Wadders - 29/5/04 at 10:07 AM

same with the micra, you need a MK1, and even they are a tight fit, i had to cut off the overflow and glue an elbow on.
MK2's are too tall

i]Originally posted by sting
i`ve just fitted a mk1 polo rad in an ST std nose cone and it fits snuggly.if you go this route make sure you don`t get the mk2 version as it wont fit.

Mk-Ninja - 29/5/04 at 10:09 AM

I fitted a micra one, easy to fit and about £10, also comes with fan, switch and expansion bottle.

Hellfire - 29/5/04 at 11:25 AM

Sh*t I forgot the bottle

Earlier Micra's didn't need the bottle. With a blade engine and Micra Rad you don't need the bottle as fitting an expansion tank does a similar job.

Jasper - 29/5/04 at 12:52 PM

Used a nearly micra rad, but fitted an aftermarket Spal fan on the front for a bit of extra. Used a seperate expansion tank. Had to fit a higher pressure rated cap though.

timcrasher - 29/5/04 at 05:04 PM

I fitted the standard ZX9r radiator in my car. It fits nicely in the nose of my MK. I used the ZX9r radiator as it has all the relevant take off points for the carb heaters and oil cooler etc. I was worried about overheating so have used a car radiator fan, but some builders have just used two bike fans wired up in series. The standard fan switch was used and so far I have not had any overheating problems and the temp gauge was even reading normal during a trackday last Monday.
I was going to use the ZX9r expansion bottle, but choose a GSXR1000 one instead because it sits nicely against the chassis.
One word of warning though. If you use a bike radiator, be prepare for lots of comments about how did your radiator is bent, " was it in a crash mate ? " It makes me laugh, everytime I overhear car buffs talking about it

Smooth Torquer - 29/5/04 at 10:37 PM

Hey guys
Thanks for the info

timcrasher: i'll watch out for those "car buffs" if i use the bike rad

Cheers
Sam