Board logo

Check your rectifier connections
Jon Ison - 8/7/13 at 07:36 PM

Had a few random electrical issues and found this........

Description
Description

But a quick visual inspection it looked ok plugged in.........

Description
Description

I was aware blades did this regularly having ran one for years but this is a busa setup and didn't think it was a common problem on these but apparently it is, anyhow removed the plug completely and hard wired it with soldered joints, also fed the earth direct to the battery as advised by a bike mechanic.

So check your rectifier connections on a regular basis like you do your oil, at worst you will find nothing but peace of mind, at best you could be saving yourself all sorts of grief and nip a problem in the bud.

iank - 8/7/13 at 08:43 PM

Nasty, especially considering how fires can take hold really quickly in a fibreglass car

b3ngy - 9/7/13 at 10:50 PM

mine looks all good, any idea what caused it??

dhutch - 10/7/13 at 03:42 AM

quote:
Originally posted by b3ngy
mine looks all good, any idea what caused it??

Its will be the typical 'dirty/bad connection' issue I expect, especially as its not a IP rated connector, bad contact creates a high resistance joint, and with a high current, generates heat, and it melts.

I get it on my headlight switch, which is carrying right about it limit, and is fine all summer, but it not IP rated and effectively outside, so come the following year its corroded to buggery, gets hot, softens, falls to bits. A rely and ip rated switch are the answer.

Daniel