Board logo

Longer HT Coil leads for my Fireblade
phil_far - 3/9/06 at 05:49 AM

From where can I purchase a set of long HT coil leads for my Fierblade locost?

Still wiating for my firts drive

Regards

mark chandler - 3/9/06 at 09:08 AM

Make them !

Buy some 8mm copper cored HT wire from a motor factors, sold by the metre then recover the ends from you existing short leads and reuse.

The coil packs simple unscrew and pull out, retained by a rubber 'O' ring, the plug ends unscrew.

Regards Mark

andy d (rizla) - 3/9/06 at 09:34 AM

just buy the individual leads (carbon) from halfords or other parts store cut the ends of and just screw them on
this will give you better plug kv and much more reliability and supresion Rescued attachment P1010030.JPG
Rescued attachment P1010030.JPG

the_fbi - 3/9/06 at 10:22 AM

Andy: You got enough clearance under your airfilter before the ram pipes?

phil_far - 3/9/06 at 03:51 PM

Do you mean that I can use a normal car HT leads and replace the spark plug ends with the ones I have?

Regards

andy d (rizla) - 3/9/06 at 11:15 PM

exactly,they are far supirior than copper and easier to get

ps yes enough clearence

[Edited on 3/9/06 by andy d (rizla)]

phil_far - 4/9/06 at 05:01 PM

Thanks that sounds simple enough. Any particular car/make/model that I should look out for?

andy d (rizla) - 4/9/06 at 05:40 PM

they sell them single so i just meassured the distance of my longest reach and bought 4 of them

Hellfire - 4/9/06 at 05:43 PM

Don't buy 8mm lead whatever you do, you won't be able to get the ends on. At least we couldn't when we bought 8mm. Make sure you get some the same diameter as the ones you're replacing. 7mm IIRC.

Phil

andy d (rizla) - 4/9/06 at 05:57 PM

8mm leads fitted in pic above,piss easy to fit even after i was told by others it wont work,proof is it does

just bared back about 6mm of carbon,folded it back on itself and screwed on,job done

amalyos - 4/9/06 at 08:05 PM

Andy,
Nice to hear from you again,
have you got the car back

Steve.

andy d (rizla) - 4/9/06 at 09:01 PM

no, to busy kart racing with number 1 son,just pop in now and again to answer the odd question that i can help with

Hellfire - 5/9/06 at 11:44 AM

quote:
Originally posted by andy d (rizla)
8mm leads fitted in pic above,piss easy to fit even after i was told by others it wont work,proof is it does

just bared back about 6mm of carbon,folded it back on itself and screwed on,job done

Some high performance leads are fully bonded and can't be separated and folded back on itself and therefore will not fit the 7mm fittings.

Phil

G.Man - 5/9/06 at 02:01 PM

That type you can carve a taper with a stanley knife and fit thru...

Hellfire - 5/9/06 at 05:31 PM

The point I'm trying to make is that if you buy the correct diameter leads in the first place, you don't have to bodge them to make them fit.

Phil

G.Man - 5/9/06 at 06:00 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Hellfire
The point I'm trying to make is that if you buy the correct diameter leads in the first place, you don't have to bodge them to make them fit.

Phil

I completely understood that, but you cant always get the right diameter leads ready to hand, and the 8mm leads when forced into the caps can give a better seal post bodge...

We used them on the bikes to help with wet weather shorting...

you would be amazed how water tight they are in the coil caps... saves epoxying them in like yamaha do..