Board logo

BEC drivechain
arrybradbury - 22/1/07 at 08:21 PM

I'm sure i've seen before, but a search hasn't thrown anything up, a BEC driven through 2 UJ's to a sierra diff. Does anyone know who this is or where the topic is? I can't remember whether this was thought of as good or whether it had any flaws!

Thanks in advance

ChrisGamlin - 22/1/07 at 09:10 PM

What car are you planning installing into? If its a front engine'd RWD car such as a Locost then virtually everyone uses this method, although you'll need a centre bearing in the middle because the distance between the engine and diff is too much to use a single piece propshaft with a UJ either end

arrybradbury - 22/1/07 at 09:46 PM

I'm sure the one it was mounted in was a middie with just 2 UJ's between the sprocket adaptor and the diff.....

RallyHarry - 22/1/07 at 09:55 PM

Yeh, I remember that also.
Was a year ago (and a half?) I beleive ...

Cheers

mark chandler - 22/1/07 at 09:57 PM

In a middy a short prop is okay so this may be correct.

The length of the prop from sprocket to diff is quite long, a single prop will be liable to aggressive vibrations and will try and destroy itself unless balanced perfectly. You will be hard pushed to get someone to make a single piece prop from 2" tube, they would maybe if you are lucky make one from 3" tube as this would be stronger.

Not a good idea really, its a lot of metal at 5000 rpm threatening to take you leg out if it fails.

Regards Mark

pathfinder - 22/1/07 at 10:24 PM

dunno who's car it is tho Image deleted by owner

ChrisGamlin - 22/1/07 at 10:29 PM

I think someone once calculated that to make a single piece prop that was suitable for a front engine'd RWD BEC, it would need to be something like 5" diameter. Its not the balancing as such, its the resonant frequency of a tube of that length thats the issue, so it will always be likely to fail at a certain RPM regardless of how well its balanced.

indykid - 22/1/07 at 10:30 PM

it was spunky.

from what i remember from seing it at newark, it was a bike engine, could well have been a blackbird, with a prop that was little more than 2 uj's, think they were bolted back to back, onto the sierra diff

afaik, he sold it some time last year, maybe the year before, but he still post pretty regularly

tom

[Edited on 22/1/07 by indykid]

pathfinder - 22/1/07 at 10:30 PM

pic is of a Honda VTR in a midtec Spyder

arrybradbury - 22/1/07 at 10:39 PM

I found it, but just after someone had done it on here, thanks guys, that was the pic i was looking for. So is that configuration still in one piece and a suitable method for a BEC middie to avoid complication/cost of a chain drive?

russbost - 22/1/07 at 10:54 PM

Spire did something very similar with a ZX12 in the Spire Gt, I think theirs was a single U/J with a sliding joint IIRC.

NS Dev - 23/1/07 at 09:14 AM

to be honest you could do that in a variety of ways. If you want the engine that close then you could just make an adaptor to go onto the sierra pinion flange that takes a rubber drive donut, then get a sprocket manufacturer (Talon Engineering) to make you up a flange to bolt to the engine side of the donut, and which pushes onto the bike output spline as usual.

They quoted me £15 for that sort of item (basically a blank sprocket with 4 or 6 holes in it)

JoelP - 23/1/07 at 07:55 PM

that 2 u/j method is fine IMHO, the middle piece essentially IS a prop. If you imagine the bolted flanges being a short piece of tubing etc...

And if it did fail, at least its not beside you!

Peteff - 23/1/07 at 08:33 PM

If you could get your engine to one side of the diff flange or above it you could use sprockets and a short loop of chain. If you got used different size sprockets you could then vary the gearing so you don't depend on manufacturer ratios.

tks - 25/1/07 at 08:41 AM

the problem can be / is balance..

because its centered on the bolts and thats never as perfect as a straight tube wich is balanced

TKs

wheezy - 5/2/07 at 11:57 AM

I got mine manufactured with 2 UJ's and a sliding tube in the middle. Overall length between the engine sprocket and diff flange is about 8 inches.

Dave